LR90, 200TDi New engine options

I have been rebuilding an 86 lr90, and its getting there, The one main area which I have no history from is the reto fit Disco 200Tdi

I want to have at least some confidence in the engine. So I have come to the conclusion, I need a new/refurb one.

I can get a Stripped engine from Turners for a cool 2k or found a chap called McDonald land rover (Shropshire) who claim to supply a turn key engine, in which case I'd put a Defender 200 in it instead - and they say it will be around 3k, looked at TGV engines but I really want to stick with LR.

I'm fairly confidant I can re-build a stripped engine, but in the long run with that cost me more than a fully rebuilt engine - also would be maybe sceptical of the quality/age of the rebuilt engine's parts...? Does anyone know of a reputable Engine shop? Or done this?

You could most likely rebuild your existing engine for less than 2K, only thing that is difficult to find is new cylinder heads, if your existing engine is running well, I'd leave it as is, fit a new timing belt & do the fluids.my Defender 200 has in excess of 400,000 miles on it, not touched the bottom end yet.

Ive just finished rebuilding my 200tdi engine, having never done anything this major, it was fairly simple, saved me a fortune, and was very rewarding, so i would recomend this as an option.

How much of a re-build did you do? you pull the pistons etc? whats the availability of bearings/seals e.e re-build parts? how much has it cost you?

I did the following work:

1. Main and big end bearings and thrust washers - supplied by turners - about £50

2. New pistons and rings - supplied by turners - about £200

3. Engine bored and honed, crank polished by local engine shop - £95

4. new cam bearings fitted and line reamed and block chemical cleaned by turners - about £180

5. all seals, gaaskets, core plugs, cambelt etc changed - £150-200

Parts are easy to get hold of and good value from turners, i didnt need to rebuild the head etc so didnt bother but parts are easily availabe to do this.

med_gallery_3861_996_332415.jpg