Salisbury rear axle on a 90

Hi,

I'm in need of some advice as i've just got a disc'd rear salisbury axle to go on my 90 and want to know what prop to use.

The 90 will pretty much only be used off road and i'll prob end up getting a wide yoke / dbl cardon prop at some stage but want to know if theres a std prop that'll fit for now.

I've got 90 and Disco props about altho i've not looked at it properly yet and if i need to shorten one thats ok but i was hoping a D2 dble cardon might fit and if anyone knew ?

Thank's,

Mark

Guest noggy

Im not highly doubt a standard item will fit, as the Salisbury diff nose is longer

You can quite easily cut 'n' shut a propshaft but it will send it well out of balance and cause vibrations, but if its offroad mainly it doesnt really matter!

it will depend what drivetrain you currently have...

ie pre 300tdi, or 300tdi and later.

The salisbury is apparently an inch longer, so:

for 300tdi> it looks like a PRE 300 front prop, should fit the bill. The 300tdi rear prop is 683mm long, pre300 front is 654mm, ie 29mm shorter.

If your pre-300 then a 300tdi> front will work instead (635 vs 610)

You will need to realign the yokes though.

it will depend what drivetrain you currently have...

ie pre 300tdi, or 300tdi and later.

The salisbury is apparently an inch longer, so:

for 300tdi> it looks like a PRE 300 front prop, should fit the bill. The 300tdi rear prop is 683mm long, pre300 front is 654mm, ie 29mm shorter.

If your pre-300 then a 300tdi> front will work instead (635 vs 610)

You will need to realign the yokes though.

Cheers Aragorn,

Its a 200tdi thru an LT77 and i assume you're talking 90 props as i have TD and 2.5 petrol props from 90's and a couple of prs of disco props, 2x300's and also a pr from a 200 ?

Seems like i collect props !

If it comes to it i can shorten one i have but it will work out (unusually) well if one i have will fit.

I wasn't sure if they fitted salisbury's on any 90's, possibly military ones, anyone ?

Thank's,

Mark

Cheers Aragorn,

Its a 200tdi thru an LT77 and i assume you're talking 90 props as i have TD and 2.5 petrol props from 90's and a couple of prs of disco props, 2x300's and also a pr from a 200 ?

Seems like i collect props !

If it comes to it i can shorten one i have but it will work out (unusually) well if one i have will fit.

I wasn't sure if they fitted salisbury's on any 90's, possibly military ones, anyone ?

Thank's,

Mark

Okies so your current rear prop is 635mm. If you use the front prop from a 300TDI (610mm, disco or defender should be fine) it should work, you'll just have to re align the yokes so they're inline.

I've got a salisbury on my 90 200tdi with LT77 and struggling with prop lengths too, presently I have a FRC7738 4 cylinder petrol/diesel shaft, its 640 commpressed and 690 extended, the gap between rear dif and transfer box is averge of 640mm.

I was looking at getting one made up, with operating range from Min 610mm to 670mm, the old propshaft clinic (now changed hands) quoted me 125 squid using hardy spicer HD greesable UJ's and wide angle yokes.

Still looking for a production prop though.

Aragon is 610mm that you stated the min length?

ok, just measured my prop, Defender 300tdi (which is the same as all D1 front props), 610mm closed.

Which fits with what i suspected, and your measurements.

Cheers for that, I've been putting a spread sheet together of verious prop lengths, I'll try revise it and put it on here.

Theres a thread in the technical archive with lots of lengths in, and devon 4x4's website has the lengths of the common props.

aye, got those documnets and trying to blend them into a more usuable form. Funnely enough I've found ebay the best place for getting prop lengths, most sellers are willing to go measure them.