steering box problem

hi all, d90 1987 deisel, steering box bled it no end of times then seems great, after 15/20 minutes driving stiff steering all over again, but i have noticed oil leaking from bottom of drop arm coming out of steering box if oil is coming out could it be sucking air in at the same time, is it best to buy a seal kit for drop arm or just buy a second hand steering box, :(:unsure::( defender dinky

My 300 tdi 1995 had very similar problem from start of ownership. Dripping occasionally across arm, very poor performance at slow speeds. The levels were checked regularly. In the end, i replaced with a new steering box (quite straightforward job but ramp and compressor makes job 100% easier) took about 2 hrs i guess.

The result: well, obviously my old pump didnt really work at all as the steering is very light now. My advice is spend the money on a new box. You can have my old box for free if you pay postage (they are very heavy!) if 110 version fits 90 (think so) but seals with need to be replaced.

Good luck! (sussex based)

hi all, d90 1987 deisel, steering box bled it no end of times then seems great, after 15/20 minutes driving stiff steering all over again, but i have noticed oil leaking from bottom of drop arm coming out of steering box if oil is coming out could it be sucking air in at the same time, is it best to buy a seal kit for drop arm or just buy a second hand steering box, :(:unsure::( defender dinky

Go for a recon box - changing the seals will last a little while, but then it will leak again, and again, and again, and again, and again ...

(I don't think you need to arsk how I know this :P )