defender steering column

hi does anybody know if the bottom bearing on a 87 defender steering column is replaceable and where can you get one from as landrover dont list a part no ive also been to my local bearing specalist and they also said they cant get one.a new one from landrover is expensive or is it a trip to my local breakers for a decent column.a new column from landrover is about £130.00 plus vat or do i get a new one and make sure it is right.my bottom bearing was making a grateing sound further inspection revealed ball bearings missing

Just get a bronze bushing machined up. I am picking up my column from the machinist tomorrow. The top bearing is a joke too, needles in a thin sheet race and mounted in a rubber collar, so if stressed the race breaks and you get crunchy steering. At least bushings are foolproof.