wheel bearing stuck!!

Guest noggy AKA Mortus

Guest noggy

My friend (Adam bowling on these forums) was just driving a long to buy a new wheel bearing when his wheel locked up...

he put it in low range and floored it untill it came unlocked :ph34r:

he came to my house and its now in the workshop..

i had to use a punch to get the hub nut off as lumps of bearings had wedged themselves behind it.

Les describes in his wheel bearing replacement thread the outer bearing should just fall out...but i cant get it out at all!!

what should i do?

i cant take the entire hub off as this bearing is holding it on, ive tried warming it up and tapped the back of the hub with a hammer, whats my next option?

Its probably welded itself onto the stub axle, i had this myself, its really a case of either lots of patience, lubricant on the bearing and the use of a hammer and bar or less patience and a larger hammer but more likely to need further parts, probably safe to say your going to need a new stub axle anyway and possibly new discs if you knock it off with a hammer, a hub puller would be useful if you can get hold of one

I went to adjust the wheel bearing on one of the 110s at work today, it felt ok when me and the driver tried to rock the wheel but it sounded dry. I jacked it up removed the wheel and halfshaft and the hub dropped :huh: . So i removed the caliper and the bearings were so far gone i managed to pull the hub off without undoing the hub nuts :ph34r: !!!All that was left of the bearings was the outer race and a ring of chewed up metal everything else was gone. Needless to say it now needs a new hub, stub axle seals and bearings.

I think there has been a lack of maintainance for quite sometime, i have only just started working there so im going to have my work cut out trying to get on top of things :( .

I think the only way you will get that of is lots of heat or a very good hub puller, good luck.

Jason

Guest noggy

ok... so ive recked two hub pullers, actually stripped the threads out the centers of them!

i resorted to heating it up and trying to cut the bearing out after much much swearing.

But unfotunatly the hub is too damaged to reuse.

So buying a second hand front axle that is in known good condition is the cheapest and most logical way to go!

so much for a hour job ey??

Hi agree with niamh, as the stub axle and hub are now scrap, just carefully gax axe of grind them off, and then fit a replacement either new of second hand.

What year is the vehicle? and what are the cvs? Post it up and the clever forum people will advise what parts you need, as there 2 different types of cv joint fitted to discoverys

Guest noggy

I havnt damaged the hub at all, so only a new stub is needed, I THINK its a M reg, and the CV's.... well it looks like a normal CV whats the differences?

Cheers chaps ;)