clutch failure

just drove home with no clutch. while driving home the clutch went to the floor suddenly and then there was just nothing. the clutch has done about 5000 miles so i dont think its the plate or i wouldnt be able to drive it . has anybody got any idea whats going on? P.S its a 2.5td if that makes a difference

Couple of things come to mind.

First have you had a hydraulic failure, check the level in the reservoir, if this is the case its a relatively cheap fix. Try topping up the fluid but you would probable have to change the master and slave cylinder, not to expensive or difficult.

Second thing is it could be the clutch fork holeing through where it pivots in the bell housing. Cheap for parts but involves the box coming out (or engine) to change it. Any one who knows anything about landrovers always changes this with the clutch as they wear quite badly but if your clutch was done by some one who does know about this then they could have left the old one in.

If your clutch fork has gone it would be a good idea to reinforce the fork if you need to change it and if you buy one thats not already reinforced you can weld a strip of metal across where the ball fit's behind the fork, this is the guide you can follow http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5010 to see what damage to the fork has been done

And here if you scroll down about 3/4 the way down the page you'll find what I'm trying to describe http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18171

HTH

John