200 Tdi Dipstick problem

I'm just swapping the dipstick over from my defender engine to the disco block. Once removed it was obvious it had dropped at some point as you could see the depression in the tube where the olive was originally crimped on and it was very loose. It seemed that the dipstick had dropped about an inch and a half below this level so I may not have had enough oil in for some time.

Just done a search and Western had measured his as 255mm from the top of the nut to the top of the dipstick so I'll reset mine to this.

Worth checking though as you could be running low on oil without realising.

Mark

I'm just swapping the dipstick over from my defender engine to the disco block. Once removed it was obvious it had dropped at some point as you could see the depression in the tube where the olive was originally crimped on and it was very loose. It seemed that the dipstick had dropped about an inch and a half below this level so I may not have had enough oil in for some time.

Just done a search and Western had measured his as 255mm from the top of the nut to the top of the dipstick so I'll reset mine to this.

Worth checking though as you could be running low on oil without realising.

Mark

Sorry my mistake make that 295mm, I've just re-read the thread.

there's a copy of the LR tech bulletin for this problem too.

Hi all,

just been out & checked mine after reading this topic & it had dropped at least an inch resulting in me needing to add a full 2 litres of oil.

It has probably been like that since my oil change about 8 weeks ago. Do you think it will have caused any damage? It sounds & runs ok.

Cheers,

Terry.

I know the defender and discovery dip stick tubes have different part numbers so poss a different length... just replaced my defender one from M+M new one came with olive pressed in at correct length, and it was less than a fiver, so if in any dought replace it..