Ex Army defender 90 ffr power steering

Hello i am new to the group and wonder if aanyone can help me, i have a ex army defender 90 FFR (fitted for radio) and want to add power steering, i have looked on the forum and and non of the topics mention the ffr version.

the engine is a 2.5na and of course fitted with two alternators on for 12v and one for 24v, the crank pulley as three grooves with the midle and back grooves in use by the two alternators. i would love to here from anyone who as added power steering to this set up and what they used, any help would be great oh and the lany is 1994.

Martin

The power steering pump goes below the 12V alternator and uses the front pully groove. You just need a pump,lines, box and reservoir. You should be able to take all of the parts from a 2.5TD or 200TDI. I'm fairly sure they are all the same.

med_gallery_2_301_308440.jpg

The bits have to be from a pre Tdi 4 pot engine, the pump/alternator bracket off a Tdi won't fit earlier blocks. There was a long thread on another forum some time ago that went on for ages before it was twigged that the brackets were different!

The bits have to be from a pre Tdi 4 pot engine, the pump/alternator bracket off a Tdi won't fit earlier blocks. There was a long thread on another forum some time ago that went on for ages before it was twigged that the brackets were different!

Does that mean i will need a the alternator as well or will my old alternator fit the new bracket.

Martin

http://www.clansman-radios.com

No, the existing alternator is resited on the top of the PAS bracket. There as 2 sorts of belt and plate for the pump itself, the one in the photo and one that has an idler pulley for tension, either will do just in case you get a set that looks different.

Best bet is to acquire a full set off a breaker but you can mix and match bits, it's just the mounting bracket that has to come from a pre Tdi.

the double mounting bracket from a tdi will fit. i had a power steering setup from a 300tdi on my 2.5 n/a when i had it. just swapped out the single alternator mount to the combined alternator and pump mount that came with the pump. you'l need to get hold of a triple pulley too as using the double pulley will mean you have to space back the pump too far and it will also be running too fast.

the double mounting bracket from a tdi will fit. i had a power steering setup from a 300tdi on my 2.5 n/a when i had it. just swapped out the single alternator mount to the combined alternator and pump mount that came with the pump. you'l need to get hold of a triple pulley too as using the double pulley will mean you have to space back the pump too far and it will also be running too fast.

hi guys thanks for the help so far, you mention a triple pulley, is this the crank pulley as my 2.5na all ready has a triple pulley on it and the outer groove is not in use at the moment

Martin