Rear axle confusion

MikeAK

Hi,

Just pulled off one the rear hubs of my 1993 RRC witn ABS to change the hub bearings and am confused.

The manual clearly shows the the hub on ABS axles to be of the type with the separate drive flange and halfshaft with circlip. Mine has a hub with the one piece drive flange and halfshaft (10 spline). The caliper bolts were an absolute b!tch to get out, much heat and rattle gun to get them to shift and are 7/16 unf.

I thought the axle should have metric caliper bolts and 24 spline shafts at this age? So what have I got, is it correct or has someone fitted an older axle at some point or is it some sort of hybrid axle?

Also I think I have kn@ckered the threads in the caliper mounting holes, is helicoiling OK for these?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks BBC

10 spline sounds right then, mines first registered 1/8/93 so must have been made before that.

Strange about the drive flange though, my manual is genune land rover 1990-1994 and definatly shows seperate drive flange and halfshaft.

Ran a tap though the caliper mounting holes then tried bolt, sloppy as a sloppy thing so into town tomorrow to get a 7/16 unf helicoil kit.

Mike

mine have all been 3.9l with abs all 24 spline... oh well nothing wrong with 10 spline..... people talk about 24 being sooooooo much stronger i dont believe it... depends how well each have been maintained IMO

Hmmm,

Now I'm even more confused. Not actually bothered whats fitted 10 vs 24 spline and probably would not have noticed if not for the dwg showing the separate drive flange and halfshaft in the manual.

Just curious about if its had the axle hanged at some point. Googling around it seems axles were originally imperial then metric then back to imperial when vented font disks were introduced then metric again in 1994.

Do axles have serial numbers like engines and gearboxes and is it possible to relate them to chassis numbers?

Mike

Mike,

Yes, the axle number is stamped on top of the axle tube next to the diff (IIRC the short side) .......... often they are very difficult to read.

I dont know that it can be related to a chassis number, but I am fairly sure that the axle number will identify the build date !

Found this on Ashcroft Transmissions website.

Rear Axle

Non ABS,

Standard : halfshafts are 10 sp at the diff and have an integral drive flange with a thick flange,

With ABS,

Standard : halfshafts are 24 sp at the diff and have a separate drive flange.

So looks as if my axle is off a non-abs RRC. Not worried everthing works fine, would never have known had I not been changing the bearings!

Will check the axle numbers to confirm just out of interest at weekend. Can they be "decoded" to identify type i.e. abs/non-abs coils/air date etc

Thanks

Mike