1986 110 headlight probs.

Well its me again with another problem I cant bodge.

I very nearly have my 110 up to putting it through its MOT, only prob is my headlights wont work.

On the O/S (drivers) I have a working dip, but no main, when I put the main on (O/S) it switches the light off?,

on the N/S(passenger) I have nothing at all, I have swopped the units around and both units work on dip on the O/S but niether work on the N/S.

I have tried new earths but got nothing, fuses are all fine and working?, any ideas?.

Chris.

Well its me again with another problem I cant bodge.

I very nearly have my Rover 110 up to putting it through its MOT, only prob is my headlights wont work.

On the O/S (drivers) I have a working dip, but no main, when I put the main on (O/S)it switches the light off?, on the N/S(passenger) I have nothing at all, I have swopped the units around and both units work on dip on the O/S but niether work on the N/S.

I have tried new earths but got nothing, fuses are all fine and working?, any ideas?.

Chris.

Are you getting 12V at both ends of all the headlight fuses?

This is how it looks on my 200 tdi 90, As you face the nearside of your vehicle-look into the engine bay and check that the earth cable from the engine mounting on the chassis to the engine block-near the back end of the starter motor is there and connected, also whilst you're there make sure that the earth from the block(same place as where it's mounted to the block from the chassis) to the starter motor is attached at both ends too

HTH

John

Hi, I don't know, sorry.

What woould this indicate if I wasn't?

Chris.

The circuit goes from the battery to the headlight switch to the fuses to the lights. If the fuses are live then it means the wiring and switch is OK (the switch is a bad design) and that the fault is with the wiring from fuses to earth via the lights - half as much wiring to check. There is a fuse for each headlamp filament - four in total.