Servicing S3 ingition barrel

Night Train

I have a series 3 steering lock to go on the series three steering column on my electric tractor.

The ignition barrel turns fine but when the key is removed the steering lock doesn't activate. A couple of taps, with a hammer, on the side of the lock will make the bolt and the barrel spring out and lock but it won't lock on its own when the key is withdrawn.

How do I dismantle it to service it?

The barrel and the cover plate are held in with steel pins.

I tried drilling the pins but the ends of the pins have a raised point so I can't centre the drill on it. :huh:

cheers. :)

If I remember right, you put the key in and turn it to the first position. The pin will then push in with a small csrewdriver or similar and the barrel will come out on the key. The rest of the mechanism is held to the steering column shaft by shear bolts (the head snaps off when you tighten them. The usual way to remone it is with a centre punch and hammer - knocking the pins round until they come undone.

Les.

Nope, no luck.

There are two pins of about 2mm diameter that are driven into the side of the die casting and into the lock barrel. Then on the cover plate, the bit with the choke cable clamp, there are four pins, one in each corner that are also driven in.

I have removed the switch unit and pulled the D section pin from the centre but still can;t find a way in.

I will try and post photos.

Here's a photo of the lock.

DSC00807.jpg

There are two pins holding the barrel in the lock and two (of four) more pins holding the cover plate over the body of the lock.

Any thoughts as to getting these pins out without destroying the soft die cast lock body would be good.

Cheers.

ETA: Just a thought, the lock is stamped 1/91 on the side. A date? Does that make it a 90/110 lock?

I've already had the switch off it and flushed it with WD40. That wasn't a good move really as the key is now black and oily and the lock plunger's a little stickier.

I don't think the plunger itself is sticking as it is nice and loose. The barrel seems to be the sticking and not popping out to allow the plunger to pop out. I really need to get the barrel out to clean and dry it before a little bit of pencil graphite is added.