transfer and diff oil

i've looked through the search engine but can't find anything.

What are people using in there diff and trans box.

In the shop i went to one book says EP90,one says 75w/90 and another 80w/90

Can someone shed some help please.

Thanks

Ralph

My previous Landy owner did not maintain the 110 properly and was putting engine oil into the Transfer box/gearbox for many years here in India. Now trying to put EP90 will be a problem as its too thin and I might damage the oil seals. What is the correct oil to be use for the boxes.

As has been said, the Transfer box should use EP90.

Depending on which gearbox you have (you don't say) it should be either EP90 (for series boxes) or ATF (or MTF) for later defender boxes (LT77 or R380).

Generally EP90 is actually somewhat thicker than engine oil so I am not sure where the concern is...

hth

Mark

Transfer box is EP90 and the gearbox is probably atf in your case Prith (i think you should have an LT77 on yours). The boxes will thank you for the correct oil. I wouldnt worry about the seals.

Transfer box is EP90 and the gearbox is probably atf in your case Prith (i think you should have an LT77 on yours). The boxes will thank you for the correct oil. I wouldnt worry about the seals.

Great Reb, Thanks will put EP90 in the gearbox and ATF in the LT77. My transfer box is the LT280 & I have added the Roverdrive Overdrive plus their LT230 Wedge shaped Transfer case cover.

Great Reb, Thanks will put EP90 in the gearbox and ATF in the LT77. My transfer box is the LT280 & I have added the Roverdrive Overdrive plus their LT230 Wedge shaped Transfer case cover.

Just to be clear - EP90 in the transfer box, ATF in the main 5 speed box :) . I beleive the Roverdrive runs off of the EP90 in the transfer box and i too have purchased the wedge transfer box sump (today in fact) in the hope that with its cooling fins, it will help cool things down a bit for my GKN OD. Will fit it at the weekend when i can also deal with a leaking bottom bolt - the one that goes through the gearbox casing into the transfer box cavity.

Reb, do you have a picture of the overdrive lever? Or the GKN is electronic, unlike mine which is manual. Am having some problem in getting the lever in the right place, looks like I will have to bend it.