Br(sh)it Parts Speedo cable

Julian

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this one before and got a solution.

I replaced my Series 3 Diesel speedo cable the other day (old one snapped near the gearbox) with a BritPart one. All was well for a few days then the speedo packed up again :(

I removed the cable from the gearbox (now a bit harder due to the overdrive I fitted) and discovered that the cable was basically OK, but the inner cable had slipped into the gearbox so far that it had disengaged itself from the speedo head. I pulled back the instrument panel and confirmed that the cable outer was fully home on the speedo.

How can I stop it from repeatedly doing this? I wondered about putting a 1/4 inch (or thereabouts) bit of thick copper wire up the gearbox drive to physically stop the cable going in too far - but if it's not a blind hole the wire will just drop into the gearbox :(

Cheers Julian.

PS Incidentally the flange on the gearbox end of the cable with the three screw holes had the holes drilled at slightly the wrong pitch circle diameter - the result was that during installation the screws snarled up in the flange rather that holding it tight to the gearbox. I had to drill the holes a little oversize before the effing thing would even fit.

I am off the opinion that the Britparts MD needs this cable shoving up an orifice were the sun don't shine!

britpart s111 speedo cables where made slightly shorter than a genuine one, most other after market ones will fit with no probs but think its just the britpart ones that have this problem,i have had the britpart ones before and after being fitted shortly after they snap so used another supplier and a differant make of cable and had no probs since.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

britpart s111 speedo cables where made slightly shorter than a genuine one, most other after market ones will fit with no probs but think its just the britpart ones that have this problem,i have had the britpart ones before and after being fitted shortly after they snap so used another supplier and a differant make of cable and had no probs since.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

Have you ever notice with the Bripart ones that they can't even bother to square the ends anymore :huh: They simply pinch the ends till they are flat enough to catch a side or two in the speedo gears. :angry:

Todd.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.

Thanks for all the replies. I determined that the gearbox drive hole was a 'blind' hole so stuck a little slug of copper wire up it before refitting the cable. hopefully that'll stop the inner cable gravitating down too far into the gearbox - so far so good.

So now I've fitted the cable 3 times. First then remove to adjust the PCD on the mounting screw holes, second then remove to modify to keep the too short inner cable better positioned.

No more Brit Parts for me - if it means having to do a job three times to get it right :angry:

Regards Julian.

to be honest over the past 15 years i have had landys i have never really had a prob with britpart stuff just stay away from speedo cables, seals / gaskets, and any type of bearing that is britpart but other than that i have never had a prob, i have had more trouble with better made parts than britpart stuff in some cases, heres one, full set of britpart wheel cylinders inc 11" front brakes lasted 5 years, a full set of gerling wheel cylinders inc 11" front brakes lasted 6 months, so re placed them with britpart again.

graham

03 d2 td5 auto e.s.