workshop manual

lawrence

Hi after just buying a discovery i want to be able to fiddle around under the bonet and was wondering what was the best workshop manual to buy. also i was wondering where is best to buy basic service items from and how much they cost as i seem to be able to find al differnt prices so not sure which is best to buy myself.

As always many thanks in advance for your kind help.

I'm assuming it's a Disco 1 you have bought...?

You could buy the Haynes manual for Discovery, but you'll find most here don't rate them that highly. The older versions used to go into a lot more detail, nowadays home mechanicking seems frowned upon by many.

If you want the official Landrover service manual, I think they are still available and definitely worth having, but be prepared to part with a limb if you want one. They are about 4" thick and bound in a lever arch folder.

If you prefer a paper book (and there's nothing wrong with that choice), I suggest you place a Wanted ad in the appropriate sub-forum, but be sure to say the year and engine of your vehicle.

Accept a Haynes at an appropriate price (which depends how desperate you are to get 'something').

The real thing contains more detail, but assumes you have some previous experience and makes no attempt to hold your hand. The Haynes is more 'beginner friendly', but may let you down when the going gets tough. However, it's a good starter, and you don't feel too worried about leaving it in a seat pocket all the time, so it's always to hand as a reference when you are out and about.

This Point of View tends to assume you realise you will need a Workshop Manual when you are away from your home base!!

Also look on Auction Sites, Freeview, local paper adverts, Charity Shops, etc. The Charity Shops may give you a general price guide.

Good luck.

Hi after just buying a discovery i want to be able to fiddle around under the bonet and was wondering what was the best workshop manual to buy. also i was wondering where is best to buy basic service items from and how much they cost as i seem to be able to find al differnt prices so not sure which is best to buy myself.

As always many thanks in advance for your kind help.

Download a copy of this to a file and then print yourself a copy.

http://www.landy.pl/LandRoverDiscoveryWorkshop1995-1996.pdf