Strange noise when braking

SeanDisco

Hi, I've recentley bought a 1994 Discovery ES V8i

Have one problem with it. Sometimes when i brake it makes a strange electrical sounding noise and what seems

like the ABS kicks in.

I could understand under hard braking but even under slight braking it happens.

Do's anyone have any idea what could be happening?

Cheers, Sean

Whats a strange electrical noise?? ABS dosen't make a noise other then the brake peddle vibration and won't cut in if the tyre traction is good, and even under under hard braking the brakes will be silent. Maybe a pad has worn to the steel backing, maybe it's a wheel bearing.

You may hear the ABS pump kick in as a sort of buzzing noise? It can activate when it shouldnt and as said above you feel it as a vibration through the pedal. If this happens its usualy because of damaged to the toothed ring on one wheel.

When the wheel bearings are poorly adjusted the front sensors work out of their locating bush, I dont know if this could cause it. I would start by checking all wheel bearings are good and properly adjusted. After that you could try the paperclip trick and see if it stored a fault code for a corner but its probably unlikely!

To be honest, mine does the very same thing. Once in a blue moon I feel the ABS activate, always when im going slowly and braking gently and its on and off for a split second then doesnt do it for days/weeks. I have chosen to ignore it!

You may hear the ABS pump kick in as a sort of buzzing noise? It can activate when it shouldnt and as said above you feel it as a vibration through the pedal. If this happens its usualy because of damaged to the toothed ring on one wheel.

When the wheel bearings are poorly adjusted the front sensors work out of their locating bush, I dont know if this could cause it. I would start by checking all wheel bearings are good and properly adjusted. After that you could try the paperclip trick and see if it stored a fault code for a corner but its probably unlikely!

To be honest, mine does the very same thing. Once in a blue moon I feel the ABS activate, always when im going slowly and braking gently and its on and off for a split second then doesnt do it for days/weeks. I have chosen to ignore it!

That sounds like the problem, I'll have a check like you said but if its nothing too serious like you say i'll ignore it :D.

Cheers

Sean