Land Rover Show South West

So I brought some tickets from here for the South West Land Rover Show this weekend, I have never been before and can't find a lot of information on it, I am camping for the weekend what can I expect, do I need to look out for anything? anyone else going?

Cheers, Jason.

Hi Jason,

Make sure you have a go on the off road course, I will be there helping to run the off road course for Xtreme off road. I will be in the Orange tray back RR with the driving school logos on it so pop over and say hi.

Sat pm the Mangled Wurzles are playing, hope you like cider :D

Show is sponsered by Devon 4x4, they and other traders will be there along with 30 or so clubs.

Oh and you can expect hot sunny weather :)

Brookers

So Just got Home,

Had a great weekend, not the biggest show but a great weekend for the kids, the offroad course was a bit tight with the roof tent on!!!! I didn't go and see the Wurzels and owening a brewery I supported my own industry/business!! The camping toilet block got a bit fresh by the end of the weekend, but it was a safe and friendly campsite, a credit to the organisers.

It will go on the list for next year I think.

Jason.

Jason, i'm glad to hear you had a good time, sorry I didn't have time to chat but we were a little bussy doing passenger rides.

Moore, you were not the only one to have a V8/water moment, were you in the 101 or the Lightweight? One RR barely got it's wheels wet before having a moment :D I think there were about 10 motors that didn't make it and needed help, all V8's!

If you went round the course please give me feedback on what you thought as we are always interested in peoples opinions.

Roll on next year.

Brookers

Jason, i'm glad to hear you had a good time, sorry I didn't have time to chat but we were a little bussy doing passenger rides.

Moore, you were not the only one to have a V8/water moment, were you in the 101 or the Lightweight? One RR barely got it's wheels wet before having a moment biggrin.gif I think there were about 10 motors that didn't make it and needed help, all V8's!

If you went round the course please give me feedback on what you thought as we are always interested in peoples opinions.

Roll on next year.

Brookers

No problem Brookers I could see you were busy, I did talk to your mrs for a while, she said that she has to put up with your trayback on the drive!!!

I did the course twice on the Sunday, it was good if not a little tight with the rack and roof tent, I didn't have a problem with the water though!!! didn't really think it was that deep, If I may make a couple of comments about the course.

It would have been good to have a chance to walk it, in some way reason I say that is a lot of the course I did the green route, kids and a fully loaded landy however I did a couple of red stages in the woods etc and didn't think that they were that bad, I would have maybe done more but as I didn't know what they were like I left them.

The final wooded section was tight for the rack, and I think needed triming a little (although I did a little of that!!)

It would have been good if the water was a bit longer/deeper and maybe you could have made the second of water a bit longer.

but do not take this as a negative it was one of the better "show courses" I have been on and struck a good ballance for all ablities without the frustration of having to wait for people to be recovered!!! execpt for the V8's that is!!!

Cheers anyway, Jason.

was a good little show, hopefully it'll run again next year as its nice to have something in the southwest.

can one of the marshalls please tell me i wasnt the only one to die in the water (silly v8s :P)

no i pulled one light weight and one rr classic out from the water

does that make you feel better?

No problem Brookers I could see you were busy, I did talk to your mrs for a while, she said that she has to put up with your trayback on the drive!!!

I did the course twice on the Sunday, it was good if not a little tight with the rack and roof tent, I didn't have a problem with the water though!!! didn't really think it was that deep, If I may make a couple of comments about the course.

It would have been good to have a chance to walk it, in some way reason I say that is a lot of the course I did the green route, kids and a fully loaded landy however I did a couple of red stages in the woods etc and didn't think that they were that bad, I would have maybe done more but as I didn't know what they were like I left them.

The final wooded section was tight for the rack, and I think needed triming a little (although I did a little of that!!)

It would have been good if the water was a bit longer/deeper and maybe you could have made the second of water a bit longer.

but do not take this as a negative it was one of the better "show courses" I have been on and struck a good ballance for all ablities without the frustration of having to wait for people to be recovered!!! execpt for the V8's that is!!!

Cheers anyway, Jason.

Hi jason, thanks thanks for the constructive comments. I've had a chat with the boss about them. Your point about being able to walk the course is a good one. Next year the course will be open for people to have a wander round before we open to traffic in the morning and after we close in the afternoon during the show and on the friday. Unfortunatly due to the insurance we can't have people out on foot during the opening hours. The weather does make a big difference to that course so areas we marked as red can be very different in the wet.

What is the height of your 110 with the rack and tent on? always usefull as a guideline when I send the chainsaw boy to trim the avenue again.

As for the water depth, I will see what I can do :D

Brookers

I must agree it was small but the wife and I realy enjoyed it, I bought loads of stuff I hadn't planned to, Plasma for the 110 and some other toys also the two bowler nemisis scalelectric cars I was the most chuffed with, but thats the big kid in me.

Hi jason, thanks thanks for the constructive comments. I've had a chat with the boss about them. Your point about being able to walk the course is a good one. Next year the course will be open for people to have a wander round before we open to traffic in the morning and after we close in the afternoon during the show and on the friday. Unfortunatly due to the insurance we can't have people out on foot during the opening hours. The weather does make a big difference to that course so areas we marked as red can be very different in the wet.

What is the height of your 110 with the rack and tent on? always usefull as a guideline when I send the chainsaw boy to trim the avenue again.

As for the water depth, I will see what I can do biggrin.gif

Brookers

Brookers,

Understand totaly about the weather changing the course, I would think that some of those logs would get slippy and a lot more difficult if it rained, and would have made it totaly diffrent.

On the walking the course thing, again I understand why you would not want people walking around, driving it I would not want it!! however maybe you could also consider "closing" the course at say 14:30 for half an hour to allow for people to walk obsticals? just thinking of people that turn up for the day and would miss the morning and evening times.

The 110 is 238cm with the tent, however I was not the only one with a roof rack to come back with camo around it!!! there was a limb in the woods also that the chap had to lift with a scafold plank to let me get under, I offered him my axe but he said he was not allowed!!!!

Just a couple other thing, I though about today is there was no water available to wash number plates/lights before driving back round to the camping/show, we had water so it was not an issue but I saw lots of trucks that didn't bother. a couple of tubs of water (there was a stand pipe, but it was not on) on the grass bit on towards the exit out would have been good, not a full truck wash but just something to help people stay road legal.

Also there was no signpost into the course from the road, the people in front of me missed the entrance and I nearly did as I was "following the crowd"!!! But again, not negative coments, just an observation.

Cheers, Jason.

Brookers,

Understand totaly about the weather changing the course, I would think that some of those logs would get slippy and a lot more difficult if it rained, and would have made it totaly diffrent.

On the walking the course thing, again I understand why you would not want people walking around, driving it I would not want it!! however maybe you could also consider "closing" the course at say 14:30 for half an hour to allow for people to walk obsticals? just thinking of people that turn up for the day and would miss the morning and evening times.

The 110 is 238cm with the tent, however I was not the only one with a roof rack to come back with camo around it!!! there was a limb in the woods also that the chap had to lift with a scafold plank to let me get under, I offered him my axe but he said he was not allowed!!!!

Just a couple other thing, I though about today is there was no water available to wash number plates/lights before driving back round to the camping/show, we had water so it was not an issue but I saw lots of trucks that didn't bother. a couple of tubs of water (there was a stand pipe, but it was not on) on the grass bit on towards the exit out would have been good, not a full truck wash but just something to help people stay road legal.

Also there was no signpost into the course from the road, the people in front of me missed the entrance and I nearly did as I was "following the crowd"!!! But again, not negative coments, just an observation.

Cheers, Jason.

Jason, Thanks for that. I will trim the trees to 2.5m next time. Wash facilities and better sign posting comments have been taken on board.

Brookers

Just found this one

Jason is this your 110 at 3 min?

Brookers

Yes it is.... well spotted..biggrin.gif although they need to buy a new tape..

EDIT: I turned down the resolution.....

Jason.

i was in the lightweight as i didnt think the 101 would fit under the bridge or some of the trees (from what id heard earlier in the day)

went round just the once right at the end on the sunday. i barely got into the water before it died, daft me thinking it would look good for the crowd (which was only about 10 people at the time) if we had a bit of a splash on entry. going to make up some ali gaurds to stop water getting under the bottom of the dizzy cap and over the top on all over the leads.

i thought the course was good, if a little short for £10, could do with a few axle articulating bits and some deeper water for the crowds (i'll be back with waterproof v8!) but overall i would have been happy to pay and go round again if i hadnt sent all my money on bargains in the autojumble :P