Compression tester 200tdi problems

Hi

For a while i have been having some problems with my 200tdi. A couple of months ago the timing belt snapped. The bent pushrods were replaced by a garage and the timing set again. At first the engine ran very well. But over a period the idle has become quite lumpy (not getting any worse now), many people have described it as hunting. I have redone the timing again when it started leaking oil from the timing case and this made no difference. I have also thought that it has been down on power compared to how it was originally although it still revs fine and pulls ok, and can do 70 plus although it takes a while to get there. The tappets have also been checked and adjusted.

The engine will start first time and if the engine is revved it idles smoothly but too fast. If the engine is then put under load on the clutch and brakes it will start to hunt. Occasionally the revs will also drop from the smooth but too fast to hunting of its own accord. It does not smoke at all apart from a bit of black on start up which i know is fine and I dont believe it burns any oil/uses any water and there is no excess pressure in the crank case, dip stick tube or rocker cover. Its almost like then engine is missing when hunting.

So far the thoughts are that it could have a bent/burnt/loose valve, or cracked piston (although unlikely since its not burning oil) from when the timing belt went or the head gaskest has gone between 2 cylinders.

If anyone has any other diagnoses then that would be appreciated and if anyone has a compression tester suitable for a 200 in the bedfordshire, hertfordshire, cambridgeshire area (although i may be willing to travel a little further) that i could borrow at theirs quickly (for a few beer tokens) that would be great.

Hopefully I should get round to posting a couple of videos of what its doing, if i can work out how to. (never done it before)

sorry for the long post

Thank you for your help

James

oh yeah also the injectors were changed for another set and this made no difference. I have an injection pump i could try putting in. a recon one that my brother bought shortly before putting 2 holes in both sides of his engine :rolleyes:

is it hard to change? does the timing cover have to be removed again? or just the cover plate?

is it hard to change? does the timing cover have to be removed again? or just the cover plate?

There is a kit that holds the IP pulley in place while you remove the pump, leaving the timing belt in place. You only have to remove the front cover plate.

With this method, you only have to remove the injector pipes, fuel spill, throttle, mounting bolts, and pull the pump out.

If you can't source the kit above, then you have to strip and remove the timing belt.

thanks for your help think i would prefer to take the timing case off rather than buy that....

just out of interest does anyone know if a defender 200 injector pump will fit a discovery 200 engine?

cheers

well the garage did the timing and it got progressively worse. if it was out surely it would just be at a constant problem not changing?

it was the first time i had done it as well, pretty sure i got everything right but didnt make a difference

ill check it before i do anything though

can you adjust it by putting the crank at TDC and then taking off the cover plate and undoing the 3 bolts that hold the pulley or what?

cheers

can you adjust it by putting the crank at TDC and then taking off the cover plate and undoing the 3 bolts that hold the pulley or what?

Yes, exactly. Set at TDC, remove the cover plate, and check if you can get 9mm (IIRC) drill bit into the pump slot.

If not, slacken the 3 bolts and turn the centre of the pump until you can insert the drill bit, then do up the pump bolts.

Obviously with this method, you can't verify if the cam is correctly timed.

Also, be aware that (I think) there can be 2 slots in the flywheel, which can confuse setting TDC.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted now. Ended up changing the injection pump and it now idles properly and revs well. Think I might have to fiddle with it soon for a but more power!. I was wondering having read loads of threads about tweaking them and what a safe boost pressure is. I have a durite boost gauge connected to the inlet manifold. Currently measures just over 0.7 bar. Brunel performance have played with the wastegate a bit. It was doing about 0.75 with the old pump which was tweaked by brunel again. I was mainly wondering is the safe boost pressure people say about at the turbo outlet or the inlet manifold? or is there not that much of a loss?

cheers

Jad

best place to measure the pressure is at the inlet manifold, as that takes into account any loss from the intercooler etc.

Personally i'd be sticking 1.2-1.3bar down its neck, but for a "safe" pressure 1 bar will be fine, thats what 300tdi's run as standard.