rear door hinge

dc89

hi everyone first time posting hoping someone can help

my rear door bottom hinge pin has sheered and i was wonder if there was anywhere i could buy the replacement pins.

if not the cheapest place to find new hinges and whether it would make sense changing both hinges at the same time.

is it an easy job to do and what tools will i need

its a 300tdi 3 door

cheers dale

I went for a new hinge - much stronger than the original too. I only bothered with the bottom one - it seems to be the one that suffers most.

Tools

I managed it by myself with drill & bit to drill out the rivet, socket & ratchet & a couple of lumps of wood and a trolley jack.

This is from memory from a couple of years ago so sorry if I forget anything

Support open door and wedge to stop it opening/closing (the door is stupidly heavy especially if you leave the tyre on)

remove old hinge & spacers - 1 of the door bolts is behind the door trim IIRC the other is under a black plastic cap??

replace with new nip up bolts tight but not fully tight

Try and close door - odds on it won't fit now

You can move the hinge - body mounts up and down, in and out and shim - lots of variable and possibly hours of fun to get the door square in the hole and touching the rubber seal all the way round.

The lock striker pin and the 'catchy bit' can also be moved. Whilst hanging the door properly I took mine off I think. The door hadn't fitted properly before but is perfect now :)

hth

TBH it's a much better bet to replace both hinges, and completely re-align the door. Recently did my lower hinge as it was fouling on the bumper, within weeks i had to do the top one as well. Door seals much better now, and it doesn't leak :)

Easy enough job for one person, couple of bits of timber, trolley jack and definately remove the spare wheel, makes the job much easier to handle on your own.

TBH it's a much better bet to replace both hinges, and completely re-align the door. Recently did my lower hinge as it was fouling on the bumper, within weeks i had to do the top one as well. Door seals much better now, and it doesn't leak :)

Easy enough job for one person, couple of bits of timber, trolley jack and definately remove the spare wheel, makes the job much easier to handle on your own.

cheers for the replies everyone doesn't sound to bad to do so will have a go at it next weekend

the cheapest price i have found is 35 quid is this reasonable or is there somewhere cheaper anyone knows??

Don't know if yours has a high level brake light or heated rear window . If it has either be careful the wires don't get trapped under one of the hinges and cause problems later .

A friend's 98 300 Tdi started having problems with blowing fuses and eventuallly the wires from the body into the rear door melted . When I investigated I found the wires squashed between door and hinge .

Trouble was the hinge had been replaced 3 months earlier - when I asked him at first had any work been carried out in that area he said no; he had forgotten about the hinge change .