Definitive method of checking Disco II bearings

Andy J

Hi all,

how would a garage mechanic check the bearings on a Disco II other than the "grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle" method? Is there a more concrete test. I have an annoying low level judder on the front end somewhere at many speeds with and without drive engaged. I have replaced bushes, ball joints (on steering knuckle and tie rods), panhard rod ok, steering damper, shock absorber bushes etc... It feels like im intermittently driving over pebbles

Problem is still there leading me to think it is bearings or CV joints. But i cant find any play anywhere but i KNOW there is play somewhere. Any advice from those in the know would be much appreciated at this stage.

At my wits end and want my nice smooth Disco back...

Thanks

Andy

Might be different for a D2, but have you adjusted anything handbrake related recently?

I had a worrying judder on my tdi; looked at all sorts of possibilities as to what was wrong - cv joints, bearings, swivel hubs etc. Turned out the handbrake was adjusted too tight (3 clicks on the handbrake instead of the previous 4) and the drum was snatching the prop causing a backlash through the transmission. Slackened off the adjuster on the drum by half a turn and problem solved after almost a year of head scratching.

Something to eliminate if nothing else? :unsure:

Might be different for a D2, but have you adjusted anything handbrake related recently?

I had a worrying judder on my tdi; looked at all sorts of possibilities as to what was wrong - cv joints, bearings, swivel hubs etc. Turned out the handbrake was adjusted too tight (3 clicks on the handbrake instead of the previous 4) and the drum was snatching the prop causing a backlash through the transmission. Slackened off the adjuster on the drum by half a turn and problem solved after almost a year of head scratching.

Something to eliminate if nothing else? :unsure:

Hi Jumpy,

thanks for the reply - to be honest at this stage i will entertain any possibilities so will check the handbrake, if nothing else it will eliminate another possibility.

Thanks

Andy

12 and 6 is the only method I know of other than tightening the nuts.

has your disco got the center diff lock? If so I'd be inclined to check the front prop.

I thought all Disco's had a center diff-lock?? I have checked the prop UJ's as best i can whilst in situ but perhaps i ought to take the front prop off for a proper once over. I cant get away from my gut feeling that it is something in around the front axle area though - its just the way it is driving at the moment. Occasionally lurchy an a little bit wandery - i asume a prop wouldnt give that kind of symptom?

Anyway thanks for the pointer - i will keep digging!

Andy

You can forget the wheel bearings,if there was ANY play in them the ABS,TC and HDC lamps would be on straight away.

Thanks Ally,

that sounds like a good indicator which rules out the bearings anyway...

Andy

Hi all,

how would a garage mechanic check the bearings on a Disco II other than the "grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and wiggle" method? Is there a more concrete test. I have an annoying low level judder on the front end somewhere at many speeds with and without drive engaged. I have replaced bushes, ball joints (on steering knuckle and tie rods), panhard rod ok, steering damper, shock absorber bushes etc... It feels like im intermittently driving over pebbles

Problem is still there leading me to think it is bearings or CV joints. But i cant find any play anywhere but i KNOW there is play somewhere. Any advice from those in the know would be much appreciated at this stage.

At my wits end and want my nice smooth Disco back...

Thanks

Andy

i'll put a pound on it being the double cardan joint on your front prop. You cant always tell if there is a problem when its fitted, as it might not be showing signs of slack. It could be its completely dry and overly tight / slightly seized and hence unless you take it off and wiggle it around you wont know.

i'll put a pound on it being the double cardan joint on your front prop. You cant always tell if there is a problem when its fitted, as it might not be showing signs of slack. It could be its completely dry and overly tight / slightly seized and hence unless you take it off and wiggle it around you wont know.

Would i feel that at low speeds as well though, 10-15mph when leaving the estate in the morning? Since i have 4 new heavy duty UJ's in a box and a couple of people have suggested the prop, i will take it off and have a look. I take it that the double cardon joint failure is usually down to the ungreasable UJ's and not the center bearing ( as i dont think that is so easy to replace)?

Thanks

Andy