Splitting Transfer Box from Gearbox

Is there a trick to splitting transfer boxes (LT230) from gearboxes (LT77)?

We've got to the point where the workshop manual glibly says 'slide the transfer box backwards'. Only it doesn't want to do any sliding... There isn't really anywhere to get decent leverage anywhere, can't find any bolts we haven't removed. We've tried levering a screwdriver into the joint and can crack it top and bottom but no more, and daren't push it any further in case we do some damage. Tried jacking it up and down. Didn't fit any studs, but if this makes a difference we could cut the heads off a couple of the bolts and fit them - I figured the studs were more important for refitting?

I suspect it's stuck on the drive shaft, but I've not idea what to try next. :huh:

How many bolts did you remove?

Should be 4 fron the back and two from the front IIRC.

If you've got all bolts out try putting it in difflock and rotating an output flange to turn the input gear while you pull the boxs apart. Or take the input gear out of the transfer box to mak esure it's not that.

If you've got all bolts out try putting it in difflock and rotating an output flange to turn the input gear while you pull the boxs apart. Or take the input gear out of the transfer box to mak esure it's not that.

Hmm...two bolts still in then. Cheers.

Guest diesel_jim

And if anyone put some silicone between the two, then you'll have to fight against that too.

I usually lever against the very top og the case,against the main gearbox.

For the record, it's four from the back and one from the front, at least in this case. It came off nice and easily once the remaining bolt was out.

If it's a 1.2 box, take the input gear out first through the little cover in the back - it'll only complicate matters if you don't.

Off the top of my head, I've not idea what ratio it is - it's a Range Rover box.

For the record, it's four from the back and one from the front, at least in this case. It came off nice and easily once the remaining bolt was out.

Maybe yours was missing a bolt. Mine have two bolts at the front, one at the bottom and another near the top.

Maybe yours was missing a bolt. Mine have two bolts at the front, one at the bottom and another near the top.

This only had one at the top facing frontwards. I couldn't see anywhere that looked like it should have a bolt at the bottom, so I don't think there was one missing.