front propshaft seized

is there a grease nipple fitted to the sliding joint outer tube, if not lack of lubrication & use in lots of water would have helped kill it.

there's one up the ends near the ujs, not sure if that's linked into the splines as well. it has been in water.. was kinda stuck in a lake for 30 mins...

so is there anything i can do about it?

Put it in a vice bath it in panetrating oil/wd40 and tap it with a hammer. get it freed up and take it apart. Once you get it cleaned up, check how bad the play is in it, if it doesn't feel so bad, clean out the greeseing route and put it back together OR if it is bad, you could get it repaired (new splines and shaft) or get another one off ebay for a similar price for thr repair, I managed to get a GKN wide angle for about 70 squid I think, watch out though, lots of carp ones on there.

Mav

Also note, a lot of prop sliding joints are coated with Rilsan, this is a protective coating & should not be removed, if it's ripped or has bits missing, you'll need a replacement propshaft.

Western,

Whats Rilsan, I'm guessing its that blue stuff thats paointed on the spline, is it like a Teflon coating?

Western,

Whats Rilsan, I'm guessing its that blue stuff thats paointed on the spline, is it like a Teflon coating?

on mine is a golden colour plasticky type coating, but could be any colour, it's to make the splines slide easier & stops them jamming together if the prop is correctly lubricated.

Rilsan from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamide_11