Any novel places to mount a CB radio

NicTheOrange90

Without getting into the topic of why I want to fit one (we use them in the local club when out) I am looking to fit a CB in the Disco.

Options seem to be:

* On top of the dash

* in the roof (perhaps loose one of the sun visors - which I never use?)

* on te side of the transmission tunnel

Any other suggestions or photos (both front seats have airbags) and I want to keep the radio/cassette

Thanks

Nic Wood

As I don't have any sunroofs in the Disco then I've mounted it where the sunroof switch would normally be. :D

rig01_943.jpg

If you get a thin enough rig then they will fit in the pockets above the sunvisors! ;)

ive got mine on top of dash & keep the rig in a seat pocket when not in use only takes a few mins to fit.

or ive seen them on the back of the console just behind the handbrake.

i used to have mine under the dash by my left knee - not a good plan on a 3dr, tilt the seats & rip the rig off. depends how fat your rig is i guess.

as for the whip mines on the bullbar but the most common thing ive seen is on the 'back' of the spare wheel mount, so it sticks up between the wheel & the door.

My whip is on a gutter mount on the side of the car above the passenger windows (3 door). It is a bit prone to getting knocked by trees though.

I lilke the ide of putting it on the spare wheel mount. Might have to investigate that...

Mark

Aerial wise, I mounted it on the spare wheel carrier.

Now, as I've got 33x12.5's on there with a D44 raised carrier, there ain't much space so I had to find a way to bend the mounting so it cleared the door, tyre & wiper and this is what I came up with:

cb1_105.jpgcb2_175.jpg

...and with the tyre fitted it looks like this:

cb02_111.jpgcb03_870.jpg

The coax is run in through the rear door under the wiper motor and follows the rear door wiring loom into the vehicle, then up into the roof space and along to the CB. ;)

It works well over shorter distances and the whip isn't effected by trees etc. :D

T'was me who started the other thread.. i liked the idea of either under the steering column or on the side of the centre consul... but then found out that the seat hits it when you fold it forward in a 3 door.... :angry:

so now trying to decide between the top of the dash, and just whip it out when not in use, or back of the cubby box, but then difficult to see when driving.... :(

i'd like to go fot the roof mounted option, but as ive got a manual sunroof theres a big, whirly handle in the way.... :(

i'm still considering cutting the tray inside the cubby box (to make it deeper) and fitting it in there......

for such a big motor, its not always very practical......... :(:angry:

Budgie,

WHere did you pick up the power for your roof mounted unit? did you run a new power up there for it or did you pick one from the available supplies (lights etc)...

And where did you run the wire to the back for the aerial? The guys who fits my car alarms says he normally runs wires from front to back via the headlining... keeps em out of the way, but with two sunroof's to get round its gonna be tricky...

Looks like the option to put it under steering column either on front or side of transmission tunnel would run in to leg problems, as my pins are too long and squash up in this area...

Budgie,

WHere did you pick up the power for your roof mounted unit? did you run a new power up there for it or did you pick one from the available supplies (lights etc)...

And where did you run the wire to the back for the aerial? The guys who fits my car alarms says he normally runs wires from front to back via the headlining... keeps em out of the way, but with two sunroof's to get round its gonna be tricky...

I started with the power supply for the interior lights :unsure: and then ran a new one that was a bit heavier.

The coax is run through the headliner, on the driver side. There is a nice lip running the full length where the roof joins the side of the vehicle that will take the coax. You can remove the surround for the alpine windows in the rear to access it easer and I then ran the coax down passed the rear light clusted and through into the rear door. ;)