EGR to Manifold bolt size?

Hi,

Does anyone know what size the 2 bolts are that join the EGR pipe work to the exhaust manifold on a 99' TD5 Defender?

I removed my EGR unit over the weekend and both bolts snapped in the manifold...

cheers

If you mean the two at the front end of the manifold where the stainless pipe joins on to run around the front of the engine - They're M6 x 15mm cap heads (5mm allen key.)

post-13593-128093014573_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that's them - off to the engineering shop tomorrow for supplies now.

If only I could get in to drill out the one on the left (Head side)... I've got to take the manifold off now in order to fix it. Not looking forward to that job at all.. any tips anyone apart from lots of Plus Gas and do it when engine is warm...?

Apart from the "lots of Plus Gas" as above, I could only suggest to make sure you use a 6 point socket rather than a 12 pointer for maximum grip and try using a "T" bar instead of a ratchet so you can gently "rock" the nuts to and fro at first, rather than trying to undo them in one hit.

Chances are, the nuts will come away with the studs attached so it shouldn't be that bad.

Well, surprise surprise. All 10 nuts came off nice a easily on the manifold - front one top was a bit stiff but the liberal amounts of '3-in-1 penetrating fluid' and taking my time paid off. But the manifold to downpipe was another story....1 bolt OK, another had to be cut off and the third took about an hour to budge.

I couldn't drill out the two EGR Studs so the manifold is off to the local LR independent tomorrow to be drilled out by them and blanking plate fitted.

cheers

I rounded the one on the head side when I did my EGR.

Sadly it was the least accessible of the two allen bolts that fit into the exhaust manifold that turned out to have a head made of cheese…

The allen bit just turned and rounded it out, so I tapped in a torx bit, and that just rounded it out that bit more. So I tapped in the next size and of course that rounded too.

I did think about cutting the pipe to improve access and see if I could get a pair of grips on it - but then I'd be committed to getting it done and I needed the truck for work the next day.

So I used a hack saw blade and started to cut a slot into the head - I had about 5-10mm of movement - so I did that until it was becoming mental torture and packed in for the night. I figured I'd drive it up to my friends, cut the pipe off, and try to weld a bolt onto the head.

Next morning I thought I'd have another go with the hack saw blade and realised I'd made half decent progress the night before. So I tapped in a screwdriver bit and turned the ratchet … and it started to round off the head.

Oops - running out of options. So I knocked in the largest scredriver bit I had - started to turn - it started to round … so I reveresed it and tightened it up a bit and then BINGO - it came un-done.

I rounded the one on the head side when I did my EGR.

Sadly it was the least accessible of the two allen bolts that fit into the exhaust manifold that turned out to have a head made of cheese…

The allen bit just turned and rounded it out, so I tapped in a torx bit, and that just rounded it out that bit more. So I tapped in the next size and of course that rounded too.

I did think about cutting the pipe to improve access and see if I could get a pair of grips on it - but then I'd be committed to getting it done and I needed the truck for work the next day.

So I used a hack saw blade and started to cut a slot into the head - I had about 5-10mm of movement - so I did that until it was becoming mental torture and packed in for the night. I figured I'd drive it up to my friends, cut the pipe off, and try to weld a bolt onto the head.

Next morning I thought I'd have another go with the hack saw blade and realised I'd made half decent progress the night before. So I tapped in a screwdriver bit and turned the ratchet … and it started to round off the head.

Oops - running out of options. So I knocked in the largest scredriver bit I had - started to turn - it started to round … so I reveresed it and tightened it up a bit and then BINGO - it came un-done.

The art of customer service is not dead :D

Dropped off the manifold/EGR blanking plate and new bolts (slightly longer than required, picked up from B&Q) this morning at 9:30 to local LR independent. Came out of my Home office at 11:30 and there, on the wing of the Defender sitting on the drive was the manifold with old bolts removed, helicoils fitted and EGR plate+new correct sized bolts fitted.

Cheers Garry of www.mrhlandrovers.com MRH Landrovers in Hertford. We often hear of bad garages but it's good to be able to report a good one.

Thanks,