Disco 1 engine problems

FLMG27

hi guys, first post from a newbe here!

I have a 300 tdi non EDC manual which is GUTLESS and having trawled thru the forum and tech archives i thought it was finally time to post! Here's a list what i've done/checked

1, was making a tappety rattling noise so head cover off and check tappets found no4 valve stem caps missing!!

2, removed rocker shaft and found it was broken at no4 and most of the rockers were damaged

3, no1 and 4 push rods bent

4, head off to find faint valve contact marks in the pistons AAARGH! the head is ok and looks fairly new

5, removed the followers and found most of the brass blocks damaged

6, checked turbo impeller ok freed off stuck wastegate actuator

7, checked timing and changed the belt all ok

8, bypassed fuel sedimenter

9, EGR blanked

10, all 4 injectors reconditioned

11, removed sump and cleaned out (messy job) and what do i find? 6 valve stem caps in the bottom!

12, removed and cleaned intercooler

13, changed all the filters and blew out the fuel lines

14, mechanical fuel pump changed (it was totally gubbed)

15, rebuilt the top end with all shiney new bits from britpart including a de-cat down pipe, which didn't cost anywhere near what i thought!

To be fair its a lot smoother but to me its still gutless, just how quick are these supposed to go?

Have i missed anything i should have looked at?

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks very much

Hi,

Any idea what caused all the internals to be damaged?

They are not supposed to be rocket ships, but I don't think they are unexpectedly slow!

Check the boost pressure pipe which goes from the turbo to the fuel pump. Mine had a small hole in which was causing not enough fuel to be injected in, made a huge difference! Or it might be blocked.

If there is nothing wrong and you want more umph you can always increase boost and increase the fuelling!

Hope this helps!

I bought my 300 TDi last year and the performance was not what I expected. Having driven a long wheel base hi-roof transit hi-torq I was at first dissapointed that the TDi felt more sluggish but once I figured out it was just a different sort of power delivery I realised that these things aren't actually as slow as i thought.

They aren't a free reving engine like the transit has but i found I didn't need to change gear so often and it certainly pulls well up to 70, or more on private roads...

As for potential causes, if you saw the state of my Disco you would know not to trust my mechanical skills

Thanks guys, don't really know what has caused the internal damage but i'm assuming since there's contact marks on the pistons the timing belt has snapped at some point and been badly rebuilt.

i'll take a look at the boost pipe and the diaphram today and see what i find, if it is split though are these diaphrams available as spare parts? don't fancy the cost of another pump!

As Matt says its a different kind of power. My one had none at all until i fitted a boost gauge and found it was zero due to a knobbed turbo, another turbo soon had it running nice. The power does not come on until about 1800rpm and she's out of puff by about 3200rpm but in that band lies some useful power, you just have to drive effectively.

In contrast my modeo tdci will pull from 1200rpm in 5th gear all the way to 70mph without changing but it wont like to rev past 2800 and red-lines at 4000rpm, to get acceleration you have to use the gears a lot.

The Landy on the other hand has more slogging grunt and less acceleration, i can still do roundabouts in thrid and will pull from there but to keep up with modern traffic i have to change down and work it a bit.

Check your boost pressure, its cheap and easy, there are no signs of low boost-no smoke etc as the boost controls the fuelling.

Well i checked the boost pipe to the pump and the diaphragm and both are fine,

How do you check the boost pressure? there's no smoke apart from the usual tdi puff on start-up

Usually have to drive off at about 1800rpm on the flat otherwise it feels like it'll stall more if on a hill, and towing a trailer is worse

To check the boost pressure, you need a boost gauge or pressure gauge capable of reading to 2 bar but standard gauges show 0-30psi which is what i bought from ebay-£5.

You need to tee off of the pipe going from turbo to fuel pump or turbo to wastegate with some cheap plastic pipe fittings and a few feet of pipe to get the gauge into the cab via the window, i then got the wife to hold it and call out readings while i thrashed the old girl up hills :) You need to be accelerating up hill at wide throttle settings for max boost i.e. make the engine work hard, pootling around will not have any boost at all and it probably wont kick in untill about 1800 rpm. Revving the engine will not give the same results - it needs to be working.

I might fit my gauge permanently at some stage as its the best insight you can get into haow the engine is functioning, my turbo was making all the right noises but zero pressure bacause all the vanes were smashed off, i'm pretty sure thats why the motor had five owner changes in the last two years! It was very laid back to drive! When you have a gauge fitted, adjusting your driving style to use minimum boost will aid economy too.

Dave

In contrast my mondeo tdci will pull from 1200rpm in 5th gear all the way to 70mph without changing but it wont like to rev past 2800 and red-lines at 4000rpm, to get acceleration you have to use the gears a lot.

Its broken then :( My TDCi 130 flys and is still pulling well past 4k. i would check the turbo isnt fubared and the things like the MAF and EGR valve.

Its broken then :( My TDCi 130 flys and is still pulling well past 4k. i would check the turbo isnt fubared and the things like the MAF and EGR valve.

Hehe no chance i'm touching that one, the performance is totally acceptable to my needs and as its doing a measured 57mpg at present which is bloody good i think considering i dont nurse-maid it all the time and like the air-con when its hot too.

Its a brilliant car for mpg's.

Dave

its doing a measured 57mpg at present which is bloody good i think

Whoooooa there Dave, bloody good.........feckin miraculous don't you mean???

57mpg, from a 300TDi ( I am correct in thinking this aren't I?? )is little short of un-bloody-believable to be honest. Nobody........and I mean nobody, has ever boasted such a high mpg before from a 300TDi.......are you sure you've reported that correctly???

I've had my 300TDi for near on 8 years and I try my best to keep it in tip top running order, it gets used everyday, social, domestic, long haul, short haul, trips to the dogging site, commuting you name it, it's done it etc.etc.etc..........never has it returned anywhere near what you're claiming and I'm renowned for being a bit light with the right foot :huh:

Come on Dave...............own up............what's your secret??????????????

Whoooooa there Dave, bloody good.........feckin miraculous don't you mean???

57mpg, from a 300TDi ( I am correct in thinking this aren't I?? )is little short of un-bloody-believable to be honest. Nobody........and I mean nobody, has ever boasted such a high mpg before from a 300TDi.......are you sure you've reported that correctly???

I've had my 300TDi for near on 8 years and I try my best to keep it in tip top running order, it gets used everyday, social, domestic, long haul, short haul, trips to the dogging site, commuting you name it, it's done it etc.etc.etc..........never has it returned anywhere near what you're claiming and I'm renowned for being a bit light with the right foot :huh:

Come on Dave...............own up............what's your secret??????????????

I think you will find he is talking about his Mondeo lol. Thats still pretty good, I assume its not one with 18's on. I used to get high 40's from mine until i fitted the Ghia X wheels but now i bearly get 42 :rolleyes:

Anyway this isnt a Mondeo Forum :lol:

I would find someone close to you with a 300Tdi and see if you can have a go and compare.

No No No Unfortunately

Its the Mondeo thats doing the 57, i haven't put enough juice through the landy to calculate yet but i'd be happy with 25-30mpg.

Sorry to spoil the party:)

Dave

Just for a minute there, I thought you'd discovered something that we all need to be aware of.

It's my own fault really, I read only half the thread after a visit to the pub and several pints of golden liquid. :D

I really must pay more attention..............or drink less! :rolleyes: