stearing question

lawrence

I know that the strearing on a discovery is not the sharpest in the world, but mine feels a little funny, what exactly does the stearing damper do and could this cause the stearing to become more wooly, if it was worn. Any help would be appreciated.

What does a steering damper do? A steering damper is a damping device designed to inhibit an undesirable, uncontrolled movement or oscillation of a vehicle steering mechanism.

To check if it's worn remove it and extend and contract the piston to check if there any free play in the travel of the piston if there is then it's faulty.

Probably not the damper at fault if the steering is not wobbling very badly, most likely the box needs the free play taken out, or bushes7track rod ends need replacing, or swivel pin preload needs checking,or even tyre pressure.

all these will effect the steering response/sensitivity

How then do you take the free play out of a steetring box on a discovery. The tyres are new so can't be those. Everything else seems fine i've been under the vehicle but couldn't see anything obviously wrong, thants what lead me to think it was the stearing damper.

remove one end of the damper and push/pull the piston through the limits, pay particular attention to where the wheels will be pointing straight forward, look for a "slack" spot, it can be very hard to notice it. But thats not your problem.

right the steering box is tightened by loosening the 19mm(?) nut close to the middle of the top on the box and very carefully turning the torque screw or allen screw in the middle, be careful, don't over tighten may only need 1 flat on the screw. Re tighten the 19mm lock nut holding the center screw in place

The steering damper is much like the shock absorber(damper) fitted to the suspension .

As said the resistance should be even throughout its full travel .

I have often seen the swivel bearing preloads to be neglected due to the work involved in setting them - and loose swivel bearings can have a very big (bad) effect on the steering .

To check them you need to disconnect the track rod ends - and then check how much resistance there is when turning the wheel hub from lock to lock . If the hub swings very freely from lock to lock then the swivels need adjustment .

There is a post on how to set swivel preloads somewhere - will try to find it .