Good Greenlane News

Outdoor Ed

I haven't noticed anything on here about this, but then I don't visit that often :unsure:

But I thought just in case you lot were not aware of this it might be worth me dropping a post on about it.

The Walna Scar Road in the Lakes, has been reopened to all traffic. It turns out that due to a lengthy court case the closure of the lane back in 1996 was not actually done properly and therefore it has been reopened.

VERY welcome news to us Lake District Greenlane lovers, especially me as I live up here as well.

It is being suggested that it be done from West to East, therfore finishing at the Coniston end, so best to do it this way if we want it to stay open, it also appears that some stupid buggers, have already been going off the lane and cutting corners :angry:

It is a rather challenging lane, especially the GAP (which is potentially vehicle damaging) so be aware if your intending on trying it.

I am driving it on Sunday, along with some other Landy drivers, so can even deliver some pictures of it after then.

But it is very good news that this excellent Lane is now OPEN!

If you say so. From having ridden and walked over it I reckon it easier west to east. Also that is the recommended direction from GLASS and TRF and as this is only a recent and currently still delicate re-opened lane it seems best to follow the recommend route.

I shall post back after it has been done.

Careful as you go down through it then Ed. As you turn into it from the top the rear wheels ride over a raise in the rock on the righthand side and then as that wheel then drops off it means the body work falls into the rock face one the right. It only happens going down because the back wheels track to the inside when you turn.

Paul de-Borde was telling me he avoided it by going very deep in before turning into the cross axle and driving to push his front wheel up onto the rock face on the otherside. Very unintuitive but probably essential on a wider vehicle.

I was notified by LDNP and planning inspectorate the day the Inpector made his decision that the exceptions to the NERC were invoked. And I'd driven it 4 or 5 times in both directions prior to reading on LRO that a direction was suggested.

I was aware on the day that Steve Pighills etc inspected the route with the LDNP Rangers, and a direction didn't come out of those initial suggestions - it must have come later.

Paul invited me along on Sunday - but sadly I can't make it. Enjoy your drive - a lot of rock has been put into the floor of the Rock Cutting over the last month, which has made it considerably easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly the route is no longer legal to drive, I've just received the following email from LDNP:

Dear all

The public status of Walna Scar Road has again been thrown into doubt.

After the receipt of the BOAT modification order application, we assessed all the evidence we had and concluded that the route should be a restricted byway (for all traffic except motorised vehicles).  We made an order for this in 2007.

After objections were made and further evidence received, an independent inspector appointed by the Secretary of State decided that the route was a Byway Open to All Traffic – including motor vehicles.

On 15 June 2010 the route again became available for all traffic.

Following an appeal to the High Court, the inspector’s decision has been quashed, and the whole process must start again.  The quashing order is attached.

This means that as from 20 August 2010, the Walna Scar Road between the fell wall above Coniston to the tarmac road near Seathwaite once again has the legal status of public bridleway.  Therefore, any usage by motorbikes or 4x4 vehicles will again be a criminal offence until the status is finally resolved.  Users are asked to respect this.

We will now begin the process again, and we expect to take a report to our rights of way committee in January 2011.

If you have previously publicised the decision (for instance, on a website or forum), I would be grateful if you could also publicise this.

The Drive was just amazing when we did it the other day. We got nothing but smiles and hello's and positive interest from all the walkers we encountered.

It is VERY sad news that this decision has been made by the High Court.

If there is anything I can do to help with getting this decision returned to it's former and much more acceptable status so we are able to drive this awesome lane again, then I would love to help.