TD5 guru's apply here!

discowhite

ive got a 2003 D2a HSE auto 170 000 on the clock full service histroy.

ever since i bought it it has used excessive amounts of diesel! my average is now 18L/100klm...

with stock ecu map in 18L/100 with a BAS map in 18L/100.

towing my 850kg camper still 18L/100.....

the disco has sliders, a front ARB sahara bar, no winch, dual batts, rear draws(10kg) and a full length roof rack(35kg)

the tyres are 255 70 R16 km2's (25mm taller than the 255 85 R18)so i doubt weight and gearing have any part in it.

it has an egr blank kit, sillicon intercooler hoses, modified OE exhaust(no OE mufflers or kat, has 2x 330mm hotdogs) finer filter air filter (foam type)

ive just replaced the

CAS, tried it with and without the spacer

new OE MAF, MAP, boost modulator and have tried 2 second hand IAP sensors.

new britpart injector harness, there is no signs of oil at the ecu at all, even behind the white plug cover piece.

ive even checked the injector codes were correct and tried a second set of injectors!!!

the rear diff has been replaced disc to disc, the front center has just been rebuilt, all bearingd and break callipers were checked

also.

the auto has been serviced in the last 10 000k's(oil and filter) and shifts and locks as it should.

i have a nanocom and often check the engine values, nothing seams out of limits.

i do have a mis at idle, a drop of 50-80rpm at uneven intervals...this has gotten worse since the new inj harness and CAS and spacer.

motor dosnt use oil or coolant...

the egt's max out at 750deg stock map and fly through 850deg with the bas mapping

the fuel pressure i get between 3.8-4.2bar.

about the only sensor i have to replace is the speed sensor in the auto..

any help would be most welcome!

The air filter isn't an oiled type is it ?

In real money I make your fuel consumption to be around 16 mpg... ! That means it's putting in twice the amount of fuel you'd expect. Are you sure you've not got a hole in the fuel tank ? Someone in the neighbourhood siphoning fuel out at night ?

The air filter isn't an oiled type is it ?

In real money I make your fuel consumption to be around 16 mpg... ! That means it's putting in twice the amount of fuel you'd expect. Are you sure you've not got a hole in the fuel tank ? Someone in the neighbourhood siphoning fuel out at night ?

ive owned the car for 15 000k's now no leak and its locked up at night. the economy is worse than a V8!!

Think I'd do an electronic compression test on it.

how do you do this?

i dont think its engine related as in mechanical, but im open to try anything atmo.

it was on a dyno 2months ago made plenty of power 86.9kw at the wheels, service agent couldnt find any fault..

cheers phil

how do you do this?

i dont think its engine related as in mechanical, but im open to try anything atmo.

it was on a dyno 2months ago made plenty of power 86.9kw at the wheels, service agent couldnt find any fault..

cheers phil

Not sure if this helps but i solved two sources of poor fuel consumption just after the cold spell this winter

1. The well known fault of the fuel pressure regulator springing a leak, along with the top pipe out of it that comes back from the front of the engine block. However you sy there is no sign of leaks so probably not much chance of that being it

2. The second more curious one was the external fuel filter behind the driver side rear wheel had spring a couple of fine holes, so fine that diesel would only spray out of them in a fine mist when the fuel pump was activated (i.e. ignition/engine on). For ages i couldnt work out where the fuel was disappearing to since when i stopped, no fuel would leak out. It was only by chance one day i left the engine running whilst i was doing the tyre pressures that i noticed all this diesel mist at the rear wheel. I could only assume that there had been some water build up in the filter and the cold weather had cracked it. Lesson for next year, drain it off when the cold spell kicks in

Another strange but true land rover foible. All other fuel consumption problems have generally been duff wheel bearings or binding brakes. I have a 2004 TD5 manual and get 30-32mpg pretty consistently.

Andy

The electronic compression test is done with an Oscilliscope.You use a current clamp around the main battery lead whilst cranking the engine.A healthy engine will show a row of equal peaks indicating equal compression as the starter works harder to push the pistons to TDC. It is a very useful aid with TD5's as the ecu is quite clever at masking faults by compensating fuelling. Bent conrods are very common.....

The electronic compression test is done with an Oscilliscope.You use a current clamp around the main battery lead whilst cranking the engine.A healthy engine will show a row of equal peaks indicating equal compression as the starter works harder to push the pistons to TDC. It is a very useful aid with TD5's as the ecu is quite clever at masking faults by compensating fuelling. Bent conrods are very common.....

thanks mate! hopefully its not a conrod :blink::blink: