A Bit Of Green Laning Alberta Style

binch

I haven't seen much coming up in the green lane forum since "the move". Loved to read about some of the adventures through England's country side. Please don't stop!?!?

Here's bit of food for thought.

My wife and I decided to head out camping for the weekend to and old abandon logging area located just east of Jasper National Park (in alberta, canada). The area is about 35 to 40 square miles in size and has just about everything you could look for in a play ground for off road fun (4x4, quads, dirt bikes, etc). No fees to use it but you get what you pay for.....no plumbing or electicity. No problem!!!! I have a shovel and a lantern ;-)

The original haul roads for the area are still there ( a bit worn but there) as they are made with a base of river rock a gravel, so they take very heavy loads. All the areas in between are either over grown skid trails, off road trails or no trails so go wild and have fun!!! As this area is in the Easterns slopes of the Rockies there is a large river running between us and the National park called the Athabasca River. Where we were the river widens out into an area call Brule lake. This is were the sand dunes meet the hills on one side and the lake on the other.

One of the Railways here tried to build a line in this area years back and the sand kept burying it so they up and abandoned the line and the station that went with it. Today you can walk over the top of the roof (if it will hold your weight) as the sand have been creeping over it.

Camping is a random affair in this area with potable water available near by. We found at least 4 areas capable of taking between 10 and 20 vehicles, complete with tents or campers. And there were many other smaller sites that would take 1 to 5 vehicles. The long weekends can see a bit of traffic but you just move a bit further back. We were lucky enough to see a great blue heron, black bear yearling, lots of deer, the odd porcupine and a few friendly faces from Manitoba (the province next door).

I haven't been able to update my website but I'll try and get a few pics up for that soon.

Hope I have given you some thoughts....

cheers,Bill

The odd porcupine...as there weren't to many to be seen. Rather unusual for this area. Lots of Elk tracks though.

the friendly faces from manitoba were a small group of 3 resent transplants that were there for the week enjoying the fine weather a dealing with a blown cylinder head on one of their dirt bikes. So they dealt with it the best way you can....Have a beer and laugh about it! Cause you just don't have time in life to sweat the small stuff!!! ;)

It fun to think that in the late 50's or early 60's it would have taken us between 8 and 10 hours to drive to this area. Now the trip can be done in a mere 3 hours. If you go to Google Earth and look at 53deg 18 min 30 sec north by 117deg 50min 03sec west you will see the area that I'm talking about. If you give me a bit of time I'll post the aerial view on my website for you to view.

cheers,Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, Bill - this looks stunning B)

My other half and I are desparately saving in order to do a 6 month trip to Canada/Alaska and the USA (the aim to be to visit all 50 USA states), the highlight for me will def. be Canada and Alaska though, they've been number 1 on my list of 'places to visit' for as long as I can remember.

Planning to do as much of the trip off road as possible, so this is very inspiring :)

Wow, Bill - this looks stunning B)

My other half and I are desparately saving in order to do a 6 month trip to Canada/Alaska and the USA (the aim to be to visit all 50 USA states), the highlight for me will def. be Canada and Alaska though, they've been number 1 on my list of 'places to visit' for as long as I can remember.

Planning to do as much of the trip off road as possible, so this is very inspiring :)

Your visiting the 50 states will be entertaining to say the least. Some of them you will be able to cover 4or 5 ina day. Alaska....The Alaska highway runs about 2 hours east of the Brule Lake area. Mind you there are a few choices for working your way up there. Doing it all of road is theoretcially doable but going to be tough once you get into some the spruce bogs. Alaska is nice but don't forget the Northwest Terretories, Nunavat and the Yukon. Lot's of nothing to see up there too. Hope you have a great trip....there is so much here to see I think you best plan for a year. Hell...Write a tour book about it when you're done!

As for geocaching.....lots of those over here too......Just bring your laptop.

cheers,Bill