Glow Plug Relay Failure?

chadler

Hope all you electrical genius's can help with this one...

On my brother's fleet Defender 200tdi today, the glow plug warning light/ignition light came on whilst driving. I've just had a look at it myself and it does indeed stay on. The engine starts, runs and turns off on the key as normal. I immediately suspected the glow plug relay, as my own defender 200tdi of almost identical age had this fail last year. Except when mine failed, it did so in a way that the ignition light wouldn't illuminate at all. I've just disconnected the relay, and the the light now doesn't illuminate but the engine is still running and starting fine. Problem solved I thought. At this time of year i know it'll be fine starting without plugs , and they're probably burnt out from coming on whilst the engine was running getting it home anyway.

So i've told him to ring his fleet management, and order up a new relay and 4 new plugs too. The funny thing is i've just put 12 volts across the inputs and i can hear the relay energising, but putting it back on the truck hasn't fixed anything. So should i still blame the relay (bearing in mind it's £50 odd from LR)?

I have noticed there are 6 terminals: 2 big jobbies that clearly carry the main whack to the plugs, two medium size ones perpendicular to these which i'm putting the input voltage across, and another pair of small, ones which i don't know what they do....

it may be the alternator that failed.. that turns on some weird lights when that dies...

might be worth a go...

and yes it would still turn over the engine because its got a full charge on it still... just a thought. happened to me once.. very weird indeed :)

Hope all you electrical genius's can help with this one...

On my brother's fleet Defender 200tdi today, the glow plug warning light/ignition light came on whilst driving. I've just had a look at it myself and it does indeed stay on. The engine starts, runs and turns off on the key as normal. I immediately suspected the glow plug relay, as my own defender 200tdi of almost identical age had this fail last year. Except when mine failed, it did so in a way that the ignition light wouldn't illuminate at all. I've just disconnected the relay, and the the light now doesn't illuminate but the engine is still running and starting fine. Problem solved I thought. At this time of year i know it'll be fine starting without plugs , and they're probably burnt out from coming on whilst the engine was running getting it home anyway.

So i've told him to ring his fleet management, and order up a new relay and 4 new plugs too. The funny thing is i've just put 12 volts across the inputs and i can hear the relay energising, but putting it back on the truck hasn't fixed anything. So should i still blame the relay (bearing in mind it's £50 odd from LR)?

I have noticed there are 6 terminals: 2 big jobbies that clearly carry the main whack to the plugs, two medium size ones perpendicular to these which i'm putting the input voltage across, and another pair of small, ones which i don't know what they do....