Honey I fried the Disco!

Puffernutter

Disco 300Tdi 1995

I am not popular! Broke the wifes Disco today (see earlier post!) The sensor is water temperature for the EGR, so has no effect on starting!

However it won't start - it tries, but won't run, slightly concerned by the vapours I get in the expansion bottle :unsure:

So, I plan to do a compression test, but I know what I am expecting to find (very little compression!) Assuming nothing more than a warped head and probably a - just a skim, new gasket and refit, or is that far too simple...

Cheers

Peter

Assuming nothing more than a warped head and probably a - just a skim, new gasket and refit, or is that far too simple...

Cheers

Peter

Should be. Just check that number 4 cylider is ok when you have the head of , as i didnt, and had a crack in the bore! :(

In respect of the above, the bores are clean and I've been offered a replacement piston.

The question is, with it getting that hot, is it sensible to do work on this engine, or just accept as it got so hot, it may have weakened other areas, so I might as well just fit another engine from ebay or whatever as I may just have one problem after another with this block?

What are other peoples views?

Cheers

Peter

Undecided of Trowbridge!

In respect of the above, the bores are clean and I've been offered a replacement piston.

The question is, with it getting that hot, is it sensible to do work on this engine, or just accept as it got so hot, it may have weakened other areas, so I might as well just fit another engine from ebay or whatever as I may just have one problem after another with this block?

Cheers

Peter

Undecided of Trowbridge!

Hi,

I would change the engine it must have weakened, damaged other parts for it to get that hot it starts melting pistons.

300 tdi are available pretty cheaply. Though i would also fit a decent digital temp gauge as the LR one is bloody useless, i also have a low level warning system on the expansion tank, i fitted these after i did the same as you a few years ago.

Regards

Keith

Cheers

Peter

Undecided of Trowbridge!

If the engine was sound before, I'd start off with better the devil you know than the devil you buy on ebay. What do you think caused the piston melt? I'd guess the block, crank etc would be basically Ok, but it may point to an injector problem, or maybe a blocked oil jet underneath. So you might need head & injectors as well as the piston, (& rings, maybe big ends). I'd be tempted to drop the sump and look at the condition of the other bits, and get the piston out. If they're OK, a repair sounds do-able - OTOH if it was on its last legs anyway don't bother.

Nigel

If the engine was sound before, I'd start off with better the devil you know than the devil you buy on ebay. What do you think caused the piston melt? I'd guess the block, crank etc would be basically Ok, but it may point to an injector problem, or maybe a blocked oil jet underneath. So you might need head & injectors as well as the piston, (& rings, maybe big ends). I'd be tempted to drop the sump and look at the condition of the other bits, and get the piston out. If they're OK, a repair sounds do-able - OTOH if it was on its last legs anyway don't bother.

Nigel

I assume the piston melted beacuse of the extreme temperature of the top of the block with little or no cooling. The EGR temperature sender melted as well! My concern is twofold - 1. that the head can't be skimmed successfully and 2. As both 2 and 3 bores were affected, there may be a dip there now on the head which will just cause problems in the future, plus the very high temperatures may have weakend other areas....

I accept "better the devil you know" but sometimes the "devil you know" is more "trouble than it is worth"!

Cheers

Peter

Cheers

Peter

Undecided of Trowbridge!

Nigel