New diff or new axle?

Morning,

I am about to embark on the biggest piece of mechanical work on my Defender and would appreciate a little guidance.

As you can see (attached) I have a little issue with my front diff. It seems that the two options are;

- replace front diff and front diff pan

- replace the whole front axle

I'm pretty handy, so the taking apart, putting back together, following intsructions isn't a problem but it just seems a mine field trying to understand which parts I actually need to buy.

Which diff for the year, which axle (defender or discovery - are they even the same), etc etc. I think you get the picture.

With the wealth of knowledge and experience here, I hoped someone could point me in the right direction. Downloaded the PDF manuals, poured over part numbers, searching the forum is fine - but I want to take the guess work out of actually laying cash on the line.

Any help pointers etc. Want to get the old girl back on the road. She's an H reg ('91).

Cheers

Nick

No file attached...

I just replaced the complete axle casing on my 130, the old 1989 unit did have a bad oil leak. I'm happy I did because on inspection the front pan showed more signs or deterioration. On my car it also meant all new axle and bolt holes = better fit and less play.

A lot of axle parts are interchangeable between Land Rover, Range Rover and Discovery. e.g. I ended up with a wrongly supplied casing for a Range Rover for air suspension + wider trailing arms. But I've made it fit using later type wider trailing arms. I presume you've got a front axle with 10 spline differential as fitted to 200Tdi.

Check this link for manuals: Land Rover Manuals & Catalogues

Cheers

Marco

Unless you've got someone who can weld a new diff pan on for you, it would be easier for you to replace the axle tube for a second hand one, and bolt the complete swivel and hub units from your current axle, together with another diff into the tube. Or just put another complete axle on, and keep yours for spare shafts, cv's etc

Morning,

I am about to embark on the biggest piece of mechanical work on my Defender and would appreciate a little guidance.

As you can see (attached) I have a little issue with my front diff. It seems that the two options are;

- replace front diff and front diff pan

- replace the whole front axle

I'm pretty handy, so the taking apart, putting back together, following intsructions isn't a problem but it just seems a mine field trying to understand which parts I actually need to buy.

Which diff for the year, which axle (defender or discovery - are they even the same), etc etc. I think you get the picture.

With the wealth of knowledge and experience here, I hoped someone could point me in the right direction. Downloaded the PDF manuals, poured over part numbers, searching the forum is fine - but I want to take the guess work out of actually laying cash on the line.

Any help pointers etc. Want to get the old girl back on the road. She's an H reg ('91).

Cheers

Nick

post-17622-069353500 1284848570_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The easiest route is to just chuck another axle underneath, unless you can weld.

Mo

OK - new axle in hand......how do I chuck it underneath :-)

Any good guides around. I checked the Tech area, found a good one to replace the rear, but not the front.

OK - new axle in hand......how do I chuck it underneath :-)

In simple terms

Jack up, axle stands under chassis legs behind axle

wheels off

remove brake calipers, not disturbing fluid lines (saves bleeding afterwards)

remove dampers

lower axle to remove springs

disconnect prop, panhard rod, steering drop arm, breather, steering damper

unbolt radius arms from chassis

slide out axle

unbolt radius arms

refit in reverse.

Don't forget, when you come to tightening the bolts in either end of the panhard, the vehicle must be sitting back down on its wheels at normal ride height - else you pre-stress the flexible bushes and they don't last as long.