Engine noise on acceleration and engine braking

Marco

Hi, I do have a new (engine) problem. It's engine noise, most noticeable on acceleration and engine braking.

Two videos to listen to:

I'm searching for leaks, expect e.g. manifold or turbo leak but on stationary / no load I can not spot any leaks.

It's 200Tdi engine.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Marco

I cant hear it :(

Youtube and windows volume controls are at Max, and my Amp is at max and its barely audiable.

..... OK my side too, I do have to switch my amplifier to very loud but can get a decent volume..

It's a bit of a whine, submerged loud purring cat noise, engine revs related.

Cheers

Marco

can you give some time stamps when its most noticable?

For example you lift off the throttle around 19secs and around 22secs on video two, and theres a rythmic whiney "chug chug chug" noise which sounds to me like noisey drivetrain components and lots of backlash? Is this what you mean, or is there something else i'm just not picking up on?

can you give some time stamps when its most noticable?

For example you lift off the throttle around 19secs and around 22secs on video two, and theres a rythmic whiney "chug chug chug" noise which sounds to me like noisey drivetrain components and lots of backlash? Is this what you mean, or is there something else i'm just not picking up on?

Here we go, I've made another recording now with sound insulation removed.

more noise

Best recording starts at around 30 secs, on overrun and keeping phone close to gearbox tunnel.

Right now it does sound like a bearing noise to me... still bit of the submerged cat rattle...primary pinion or clutch release maybe?

I've replaced manifold gaskets + turbo gaskets, might have been a little leak.

But more on the LT77... I now guess it's the LT77 creating the nasty noise.

On 1, 2 and 3 you can hear the noise, best on the overrun. In 4th there is no noise at all, silent on acceleration and overrun. Did not try 5th in town.

Presume it's the unexpected end of my professionally reconditioned LT77

Cheers

Marco

That sounds horrible.......... my guess is transfer box output bearings.......... have a lay underneath, and wiggle the output shafts..... do this with the handbrake off, but on a level surface with it in gear!!!

Another thought on transfer box, try it in low range, is the noise still there,....??? is it speed or engine revs related... that should tell you lots!

Also worth jacking it up one axle at a time and giving the wheels a good spin, could be a diff bearing,.....

I've been driving on the motor way this afternoon and the same noise in 5th gear, only 4th +/- is silent.

At the moment I do consider to take apart my shelved LT77 56A suffix H, used to be fine except nasty spline damage on the main shaft.

Just found out I do need special tools to take the box apart....

The recon unit I'm using (with the noise) is from Luton, now at 52.000km. For some reason both reconditioned LT230 and LT77 are causing me problems. (see my post on intermediate shaft leak)

Cheers

Marco

Makes sense, i THINK the layshaft in the box is only used on 1-3 and 5, whereas 4th is directly transmitted thru the mainshaft becuase its 1:1.

Might be wrong, but thats what seems to ring a bell in me head!

I feel this is very close to the truth.... next question how to solve it DIY or pull out the wallet :(

• 6 years later...