Repair/replacing outer sills

cjmt

Hi All,

My trying to get my Discovery in good order before its MOT continues. Phase 2 is the welding...

My first of several questions is this. Both outer sills are more or less knackered, but the inner sills appear fine, though they have only been prodded with a screwdriver rather than wirebrushed extensively. Assuming it is just the outers is this a relatively straightforward job? Do I just buy the outer sill repair sections from YRM, cut the old outers out, leaving a lip of good metal at the top to weld them to and then puddle weld to the bottom of the inners, or do I need to weld through the floor too. I hope not!

Any advice much appreciated. I have seen the box section tutorial and that technique is a posibility but I'd rather keep the car originalish if poss, am always a bit paranoid about insurance cos etc in the event of a shunt. However if its much easier I'd certainly consider it. I'm a totally novice welder, so any advice with that borne in mind would be particularly kind!

Thanks again

Charlie

Thanks Andy. So, seam weld to the a/b pillars, the upper edge of the old outer sill and puddle weld to lower lip to lower lip of inner sill and no welding through the floor??

Charlie

hello easy to do, i brought the outer still repair sections from al services in poole, cheap and well made, cut grind and weld, just sprayed mine with etch primer and then undercoat,

Regards

Andy

if there bad then use box, but mine was just outer, so what u said is spot on, speak to andy from al services, they do inner, outer, body mounts, alsorts, come highy recommended, if you want there number let me know,

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy and ThreeSheds.

I hope I'm going to get away with the repair sections and am glad it sounds straightforward but I guess I wont know until I get the grinder out. The box section tutorial linked to is excellent and will really help if I need/want to go that route.

Any other advise anyone might have still much appreciated. Any thoughts anyone on wether the insurance co would regard box section sills as a modification???

Charlie

if there bad then use box, but mine was just outer, so what u said is spot on, speak to andy from al services, they do inner, outer, body mounts, alsorts, come highy recommended, if you want there number let me know,

Regards

Andy

The issue for me with repair sections is that they have a cut-out for the B post where you actually need most strength. I've done a couple of restorations now, the first I fitted new inner and outer sills sections, the last one I stuck box section in. he later makes it a tad harder to get the body mounts to line up and I took out some rusty floor so I could weld it all from above. I would agree with the above though, if the bits you can see are rotten you are bound to find it extends further than you think.

Thanks all. I really need to examine the inner sills and floor properly and go from there. Advice much appreciated!

Charlie

The issue for me with repair sections is that they have a cut-out for the B post where you actually need most strength. I've done a couple of restorations now, the first I fitted new inner and outer sills sections, the last one I stuck box section in. he later makes it a tad harder to get the body mounts to line up and I took out some rusty floor so I could weld it all from above. I would agree with the above though, if the bits you can see are rotten you are bound to find it extends further than you think.

• 1 month later...

Just a brief post to say the Disco has just passed its MOT with no rust related comments after the welding Ive done. Thank you to all for your advice and encouragment.

To those in the future who might be wondering if you can sort out sills/boot floor/etc your self, if I can you can, it just takes some time.

Thanks all,

Charlie