200tdi PAS PUMP -Can anything be done?

Wifey got home last night and said that the Defender was leaking oil.

She said she had been travelling down the raod at about 60mph when she heard an unusual noise coupled shortly after by a smell of burning,but thought no more of it.

I checked under the bonnet this morning and the PAS reservoir is empty.You can see fluid has come from the pump and been sprayed around by the pulley.

Is the pump likely to be knackered or is it worth trying to get a seal kit.

Any suggestions?

Thaught no more of a funny noise and a burning smell and continued driving?! Thats a properly sparkling idea when your hurtling down the road at 60mph in 2 tonnes of metal :blink:

The pumps probably fubar if its been run for a long time with no lubrication. You could mess around with a seal kit, but for the time/hassle/effort etc, i'd just get another pump.

Thaught no more of a funny noise and a burning smell and continued driving?! Thats a properly sparkling idea when your hurtling down the road at 60mph in 2 tonnes of metal :blink:

The pumps probably fubar if its been run for a long time with no lubrication. You could mess around with a seal kit, but for the time/hassle/effort etc, i'd just get another pump.

I'd agree with Aragorn.

If it was noticed straight away and caught before going relatively dry it would be worthwhile trying a kit first. It may be a bearing gone which then meant the seal went.

Re-con or new pump would be my advice.

Dave!