300 tdi occasionally does not want to start !

peter deer

Hi

I wondered if somebody had ever had same problem:

Diso works fine ,but once every months /2 months ,it refuses to start:nothing at all when I turn the ignition key

cure is to wait for 15 /20 minutes and then retry:it usually then starts

Now ,yesterday,for the first time ,it did not want to start after the ususal 15 minutes

I played with all the buttons with the ignition ,and suddenly ,when i switched the fan on ,it suddenly started

i do not think it is a problem with te starter motor,but rather with radio interference with the alarm

I have heard that some disco had had problem when parked near radio stations

any idea what it is ? is there a cure ,short of replacing the electronic central unit ?

your advise would be preciuous

Peter

Hi

I wondered if somebody had ever had same problem:

Diso works fine ,but once every months /2 months ,it refuses to start:nothing at all when I turn the ignition key

cure is to wait for 15 /20 minutes and then retry:it usually then starts

Now ,yesterday,for the first time ,it did not want to start after the ususal 15 minutes

I played with all the buttons with the ignition ,and suddenly ,when i switched the fan on ,it suddenly started

i do not think it is a problem with te starter motor,but rather with radio interference with the alarm

I have heard that some disco had had problem when parked near radio stations

any idea what it is ? is there a cure ,short of replacing the electronic central unit ?

your advise would be preciuous

Peter

It may be alarm related but if this only happens when starting, i.e. doesn't cut out when driving, check the small wire to the starter motor solenoid (piggy-backed on top of the motor). I had a similar intermittent fault and found the wire had pulled free and was just resting on the spade terminal. Re-made connection and no problem since - franticly touching wood as I type!

Cheers,

John

Very interesting comments ,many thanks to all

it is definitely not a stater motor problem

A few years ago ,I had already set up a direct connect to the Fuel solenoid ,as mentionned in the archive post .I had put a switch on the dash board to stop the engine .

This had worked so far ,but now the problems seems to reoccur more and more :the car does not want to start (It is to be noted that once the engine is running ,no problem :the car does not stall)

in your opinion ,this is yet again a spider unit probelm?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I had a very similar problem with mine, although it went from bad to worse slightly quicker. I traced the problem to the 'spider' unit, which is part of the immobiliser. This component is so useless (and technically redundant anyway) that Land Rover have made a small replacement harness specifically to bypass it.

You can read the details of how I fixed mine here.

Hope this helps.