compomotive alloys

Grant.

No. Early hubs won't take alloys

Whilst this is true in standard form, the modifiation necessary to make them fit is fairly trivial.

I run Compmotive XS wheels on my '77 Rangie and that has Imperial axles. I don't know if there are early axles and very early axles, mind you.

When I bought my rangie in the mid '90s, it came with the GKN 3 spoke alloys. I don't remember if the wheels had been modified but they went on and came off with ease. I can say that my half shaft flanges have been ground back to level with the bolt heads although that may or may not be necessary.

What is necessary (with the Compo's) is to grind off about 1/16th inch of the inside edge of the wheel that is in contact with the mounting flange of the hub. I drew a felt tip line all around and then ground to the line with a Dremmel. It really is about twice the thickness of th paint. Having done this, the wheels fit, no problem.

Another alternative is to fit the ally wheelspacers sold by Paddocks. These fit both Metric and Imperial hubs but have the later metric mounting flange onthe outer edge.