300 TDI Cutting out

I hope someone can help. I run a 300 TDI 1996 Defender. This last summer it started dying for no reason after about a minute it would start and might be OK all day or it might only run for a few miles and cut out again.

Anyway I changed the stop switch solonoid and it cured it or seemed to, today it cut out twice. Its been OK for maybe 1000 miles, again it started up alright after about a minute.

My question is , does the system have a relay fitted, Ive looked at a 1995 wiring diagram and it looks like the stop switch wire goes straight to the ignition switch. But trolling through the internet Ive seen reference to a Fuel Pump Relay will my motor have one of these?? One of my mates thought that the power for the solonoid went through the heater plug relay would that be correct??

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks in anticipation Keith

Not sure how similar the wiring is (in principle) to a similar aged Discovery, but I had to chase these circuits through recently.

So, caveated on a 300TDi Discovery!

The power comes through the ignition switch to a start relay (which is grounded through the immobiliser), so if the immobiliser is playing up, that could be an issue, three separate power feeds then go off to:

Starter solenoid;

Glowplug heater relay;

Fuel stop solenoid.

Note the role of the starter relay is to turn some circuits off when the engine is cranking. If it cuts out, it may just be a poor connection or broken wire.

I would be tempted to run a temporary hot wire with a switch inside the car and if the engine cuts out, flick the switch to hotwire the stop solenoid and see if it runs. if it does, then you know where to start looking.

Cheeers

Peter