24V winches

Hey,

I was talking to someone the other day about the rediculus costs of 8274s, and he suggested, 'why not just 24volt my champion 9000lbs winch. it will increase speed and increase power' (wish i could twin motor it like simon did, but missed out on that beauty :( )

has anyone put there standard 12v to a 24v? if so how? and does it work?

any and all info/feedback would be great. the more info i have the better i can work out my plan of attack...

Pete

Your question is a bit vague I suspect.

If you change the motor from a 12v unit to a 24v unit and run it with the 12v electrics it won't perform very well at all.

If you leave the motor as a 12v unit and change the electrics to 24v it will probably work better than it does now in speed and power BUT you will need to use your freespool rather than feeding the rope out under power or the motor will burn out quickly. You can only really use a 12v motor on a 24v system when it;s under load although you MAY get away with it in short bursts.

If you change the motor and the electrics to 24v you won't see much difference in performance in short bursts but 24v tends to be better in long pulls because of the lower current draw and the fact you can get an alternator closer to matching the current requirements.

Given that you've got a cheap and cheerful winch, how long it would actually last if you increased the power going through it is anyone's guess. Having said that standard 8274s don't last that long when you start increasing the power and speed either :)

Your question is a bit vague I suspect.

thats cos i have no idea where to start. haha

So if i leave the winch alone (12v) and take the power from both my batteries link them together to give it 24V it will be fine pulling the car along (doing challenges so the pulls my be long ones, do you tihnk the motor will burn out?) but will have to free spool out...

I always free spool out to get connected up, and then only motor the rope out a little at a time to 'wiggle' the car about.

sound like i tmight work? or am i missing something?

any one else had a play and success/failer?

thanks,

Pete