auxillary fan question

del

Hi folks just fitted a 200 tdi into my old td 90, I got a pair of rangie p38 double fans to cool to rad and intercooler. I got a thermo switch from wrights auto supplies at one of the landrover shows . I had an old power feed on a relay that powered up some 9" lights that used to be on the front of the truck. The guy that was fitting the engine ect wired the fans up to this and they worked for a little while and have now stopped. Ive traced the wirring back to a in line 15a fuse that has blown, does anyone know if its safe to put a larger fuse in its place and what size should I use and is it safe to wire a set of doube fans into an old lighting relay? the switch itself came with no instructions, any advise would be greatly appreciated,del

Ive traced the wirring back to a in line 15a fuse that has blown, does anyone know if its safe to put a larger fuse in its place and what size should I use and is it safe to wire a set of doube fans into an old lighting relay?

Whether its safe or not depends entirely on what wire was used previously. If it was sized reasonbly closely to the 15A fuse, then you may well have issues.

You really need to ascertain the current requirement of the fans, and size the wire/fuse from there. If the fans worked for a while on the 15A fuse then you may fine a 20A fuse is ok. most standard auto relays are rated for 30-35A. You do need to check the wire though, if it was marginal for a 15A fuse it could cause issues now.

Personally, I'd replace/renew the whole circuit with known parts, if I was unsure what had been used previously.

As above, start afresh, but..... a lot of eleccy fans from larger cars (Mondeo size upwards) are fused at 30A each.

In fact, being the nice person that I am, I checked out Rave and it shows that each condenser fan on the P38 is indeed fused at 30A.

So, that means a separate fused circuit and a separate relay for each fan :)

i know my fan has a deal of in-rush current at startup. IIRC mine is 25amp fused. it would run at 15amp but blow at startup so i upped the fuse to 25amp.

I'm presuming the relay is rated at 30amps so running 2 x 30amp fans might be a bad idea. Bowie has it nailed, use two.