Auto Problems

lawrence

I've got a 300tdi auto which has started a real problem of not changing gear. this only happens every so oftern and only at the start of the trip, I have been able to make it change by pressing the gas pedal all the way to the ground. once it changes once it will be fine for the rest of the trip with no problems at all. This doesn't happen all the time, but today I hav ebeen out to the car a few times it won't change down at all. Only started a few weeks ago. Is there a setting in the engine for the auto change that could have altered or do I need a whole new gearbox.

If it's stuck in first it's not the kickdown cable, it's most likely a governor problem. Generally this problem only occurs when the gearbox is cold and, once it warms up and starts shifting, it will shift quite normally after that point.

A brief explanation here...

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=221

You can replace the governor and/or it's O rings (can be done in situ if you remove the transfer box) but if the problem is caused by bits of brake bands floating around it may well be an early indication that you're going to need to rebuild the gearbox at some point soon. Every gearbox I've ever had do this always ended up losing the A clutch (no forward drive at all but reverse is fine) so unless there's a split o ring or something like that replacing the governor is unlikely to be a long term fix.