Disco air suspension problem...

ninjagreg

I was speaking to a worried friend at the weekend. He was telling me how the other evening he heard a very loud bang from his D2 parked in the drive. He went outside to be greeted by his dog flying, scared witless, through the front door and a big puff of what he called "smoke" coming from the vehicle. The result is that the back suspension has now dropped, whilst the front suspension is still normal. I've not seen the vehicle and he's not mechanically minded. He's loathed to take it to Landrover and is currently driving around in his old Fiat Punto!! I HAVE to help him! :)

Before I head over with my toolbox, he lives about 60miles away, does anyone have any ideas what it might be? or where I should start looking?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

It would be worth checking why the airbag burst whilst sat on the drive...yes they do leak, and yes they can go bang, but if they bang I'd expect them to be under excess pressure from the compressor.

Was the engine running? Could the compressor have been running and over-inflating the bag? Seems a bit odd that it would go bang whilst just sat there parked :unsure:

If there is a fault with a ride height sensor or something that is keeping the compressor running you'd want to find it before fitting the new bag (or be prepared to pull the fuse after fitting teh new bag).

Sounds like a bag!

If you change it double check the other rear air bag to make sure its ok, as it might be worth changing the two,

they really are easy to change,

Two little spring type clips on the top of the chassis, remove these

air line onto the top of the air bag, remove this ( small spanner needed )

pull the air bag down towards the axle ( compressing the bag )

twist the air bag 90 degrees and it should lift out the axle

Russ