Thor V8 crank and cam signals

jagwit

Having Megasquirted several engines (V8 and V12) now, most with EDIS and some with dissy, I would like to have a go at doing a Thor V8 (as found in Disco 2 / P38) with COP / sequential.

This means knowing exactly what signals come out the crank and cam sensor and how they relate to each other.

I found this:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/V-8_40new.htm

Which gives good info on the crank signal but its not clear enough on the cam signal. Anyone have anything better?

Best regards

Philip

www.jaguardiy.net

The last one I did I just used the crank signal as the OEM arrangement uses a VR sensor and the crank has a missing tooth which is more than adequate to run the engine well.

There's no real benefit in using the cam signal as well unless you fancy trying out sequential injection/ignition but as that's not really a viable option unless you go for an MS3 it's easier to just ignore it. The cam signal on the Thor is pretty complicated in that it relies on the width of the teeth rather than just a simple missing tooth or similar, decoding that would mean having it added to the code. It is, IIRC, a simple logic level pulse though rather than VR. It would be possible to decode it with an MS2 or MS3 as james has already put in similar code for the LS1 crank signal but I'm not aware of any suitable decoder being there at present.

I have a working msq for a Thor running MS1-Extra 29y4 off OEM crank if it would be any help. I'd go with MS1-Extra or MS3 if you feel like living on the edge for a while. MS2-Extra will work too but I find the lack of available outputs quite annoying on the MS2 with so many of them sacrificed to the IAC which you don't need in this case. I only use MS2-Extra for vehicles fitted with steppers and stay with MS1 for anything else.

The OEM idle valve can be used as a PWM in case you hadn't realised that.