Slipstreaming an unhappy Eddie Stobart truck

If you are slipstreaming keep an eye on what's behind you, the one thing you don't want to be is the meat in a 88 Tonne artic sandwich.

I had an example of how much damage trucks do last year on the M6

I was in my Iveco pickup towing a trailer so no outside lane

M6 just before j6 northbound, middle lane doing about 20mph as there'd been a crash on the A38M so there was a long queue in the inside lane.

In front of me a skip wagon probably 17T with 2 skips one on top of the other full of sawdust.

I was about 15m behind him when I heard a loud bang and he started rolling back, I hit the horn but he just kept coming until my truck stopped him

when I got out he'd run into the back of an artic, the rear doors of the artic trailer had crushed the cab trapping him inside

Another driver blocked the outside lane so we could get him out but the doors were jammed, it took the fire brigade and a hydraulic cutter to get him out

I was there for about an hour, turns out he was really lucky as he walked away but the truck was a write off.

the 2 skips had slid forward snapping the lifting gear off as they went and hitting the back of the cab

this was a 20mph crash, If he'd been doing 5mph more I think he'd be dead, if a car had been between them I think they would have been dead

Motorways are dangerous places, it's only when you witness a low speed impact like this it brings home the amount of damage trucks can do

like I said, I wasn't that close, just enough that the Megacube trailer stopped the gusts of wind from slowing me, he brake checked me twice, the 2nd time really hard, I wasnt anywhere near hitting the back and there was very other little traffic on the m-way (it was pretty late on the M66 just north of Bury).

I guess the ES driver was probably a bit freaked out why someone was following him closely on an empty m-way. Whenever I see a lone HGV coming up behind, once they start to overtake I slow down to let them past so they don't end up taking ages to overtake (im usually doing 55ish mph), he probably 'ticked' me off his list-'slow landrover, check mirrors, indicate, pull out, ok I've been flashed back in by the Lanny, flash indicators to thank him, what's for tea, what's my next drop, etc etc...........who the bloody hell is that following behind? I'll sort him out........oh its that bloody slow Landrover again......