RRC Exhaust - Range Rover Classic Exhaust swap

Dunc

Hi everyone,

Bit of a strange query, but i guess that's part of my raison d'etre!

I'm replacing the exhaust on my 1985 2-door RRC, nothing revolutionary there i know, but i don't want to replace it with the twin pipe system it has as standard.

The downpipes from the manifold, NRC4219 and NRC4220, seem to be identical for all RRC's to 1985 as does the 'Y' pipe, NRC4218.

The differences at the supplier seem to be the centre silencer which joins to the 'Y' pipe and comes in single or twin pipe outlet, 594973 & NRC1973 respectively.

What i'm after doing is fitting a single pipe outlet silencer rather than the twin pipe version. This will facilitate me putting my own rear pipe and back box on.

Like i said, not the most radical of problems, but it will just save me wasting money (which is currently at a premium) buying bits that wont fit. I know i could cut and reweld everything, but i'm after a much easier solution with an amalgam of standard parts to make future replacement easier; one off bits always fail at the most inopportune of moments!

So, is there any other difference in the single outlet exhaust intermediate silencer and the twin outlet intermediate silencer other than the outlet pipes?

Cheers.

Try this link to the Bosal web site:

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_cartype_search.php

It doesn't give dimensions but if you search you will see that from 1985 they reverted to single pipe after the middle silencer/resonator box. The 3.9 bore diameter output is larger than for the dual output but I couldn't say whether the down pipe to middle silencer bore is larger.

So, is there any other difference in the single outlet exhaust intermediate silencer and the twin outlet intermediate silencer other than the outlet pipes?

Mines an 87 that has the single pipe from the Y piece right through to the rear silencer but then exits with twin tailpipes. Think this system was fitted from 86 to 89 on the 3.5efi then they had a single exit tailpipe on the 3.9efi. I know these two systems are different in size as the later one has a larger diameter, hope that info will help you.

Cant help you on the earlier twin system im afraid.

The 3.9 system is also routed differently around the gearbox crossmember from what I've experienced.

I'm not really sure about the twin pipe systems but I thought they were discontinued when the 3.5 EFi was introduced. I'm told they sound different. Logic suggests that the EFi systems were the more efficient.

Thanks for the comments.

Ideally, i'm after the comparison of the pre-'83 single outlet intermediate box and the subsequent twin outlet intermediate box.

My old 3.9 was a single and was very different around the gearbox, especially where the cats were!

I'll see if i can glean any clues from the Bosal link, although as i've now found the centre boxes for £16 + vat i may just give it a whirl and see!

Cheers.

this was the disco system

LRO041.gif

size wise, the book gives (for the carb 3.5)

downpipe 45mm internal to y section 44.5mm external

middle box outlet 56.5mm internal to rear pipe 56mm external

56mm external, should be the same one the Rangey one i'd have thought. Thanks Al.

Or you could use

NTC2802 down pipe rh

NTC3226 down pipe lh

NTC4061 intermiate pipe (y piece)

NTC1322 centre silencer

NRC9836 rear silence assembly

Single pipe all the way, two pipes out of the rear silencer

If google is right then those part numbers are for the model years after mine, but pre-cat. The downpipes still look the same.

They're the corresponding RRC part numbers to the Disco system Al posted...

Thanks very much guys, i'm obliged.

So, this is what should go on mine

RA1004MSP.jpg

and from your help hopefully this, minus the back box, is what will go on mine

RA1019MSP.jpg

Crossing everything!