Find a good 300 tdi ?

lrzoo

I have been searching for weeks to find a good 7 seater 300Tdi in the UK ( I am based in Cheshire ) for around £2k+

So far the ones I have found have been far from good. People say they are in great condition and when I get there the boot and sills are obvious rotting away !!

Any suggestions from anyone as to where I should go to find a genuine one ?

Many thanks

Peter

Probably the best way to go to ensure that it not a rot box in some sense. Unfortunately even the latest 300s are now 12 years old so unless you find a minter there is going to be issues. Its a matter of taking your time and perhaps widening your search net. Be aware though that 4x4 prices are sky high accross the board at the moment and this cold weather and snow will only continue to reinforce demand through the winter. If your not desperate I personnally would keep an eye out and unless something special comes along wait until the summer and for pices to soften in theory.

ta

hi there are good ones out there!i looked at loads before i bought mine,finally bought one in jan this year,after looking for about 3 months.

mine is a 1998 300 auto 3 door,had 92000 miles and full service history to 88000 miles.i have now de egr'd,fitted a de cat front pipe and just bought hd standard height springs(not fitted yet).its now got 103000 and mot'd it in november,and mot bloke said its the cleanest (underneath) hes seen for a long time.and looking at price of them now,its worth more now than when i bought it!paid £1800.i live in kent and traveled down to dorset to get it.just keep looking and good luck.. ;)

Consider one with rust repair work already done.

Try to find one from a Land Rover enthusiast, it may help, you may get more honest answers..

A Disco 1 is going to fall apart, and isn't going to be 100% reliable, but that's part of the fun of it! :D

I was in the same situation like you and searched for ages only viewing cars that on the surface looked ok, but was rotten through. Eventually found a so-called Jap import totally rust free. Mine had been exported to Japan and then re-imported. Makes no difference to the insurence as it is a UK car, manufactured in the UK and with UK papers. The service history you cannot verify, but I wound't trust that in any case. A motor with 150k on the clock may be in better condition than one with 80K, all depends on regular service and maintances. A full LR service record will provide some proof, but is hard to find. Receipts from any old garage doesn't really reassure me. Listen instead to the engine, drive it or take someone with you to inspect it. I see Jap imports are attracting premiums and for good reason. May save you money if you can't do the welding yourself.

Michael

There was a fair few that where lost due to the scrappage scheme as people could get 2k for another vehicle when it wasn't worth that and was needing/going to need welding work as with all D1's in the next few years. There are two routes into owning a good D1 really, 1st is to pay the pice up front and the other like I have is to get something very cheap and rebuild bits as they go.

Keep looking and be prepared to travel for the right one.

I got a 97 Auto XS with 78K , paid £2k, that was 18m ago.

Good one's are fetching £2.5k to £3k now.

You might want to up your budget or buy something that's not "mint".

Rot & Rust are the big enemy obviously, engines go forever.

Be prepared to get handy with the tool box, it's part of the fun, I love mine.

Good luck

PS. Try Ebay, a few tidy one's on there at the moment, not a great time to buy now though, most of the good stuff (and not so) went in September