Overheating Auto

SeriousIIa

When pulling a heavy trailer (+3000kgs) with my RRC (on 4 inch lift and 33x12,5 muddies) my auto gets quite hot I think. Haven't fitted a temp gauge yet. But the tunnel and shifter gets really hot!!! And after doing some highway driving for more then a half an hour. When lifting of the accelerator the auto fluid comes trough the breather house. (I think because of large quantities of smoke behind me and a smell of burned Dextron) Not much coming out, but don't need much to make the whole road behind you disappear by smog.......

The right amound of fluid is in the auto so that;s not the problem.

Will fitting a bigger oil cooler fix this problem? Or is the ZF just not up to pulling such big loads with such a modified RRC (it also use quite a lot of LPG when i drive it with heavy trailers ;) )

Any suggestions which oil cooler? i was thinking putting 2 militairy style series engine oil cooler paralel, in front of the rad because they hold a bigger fluid capacity. and I;ve got them lying around.

Cheers Bowy

[

Will fitting a bigger oil cooler fix this problem? Or is the ZF just not up to pulling such big loads with such a modified RRC (it also use quite a lot of LPG when i drive it with heavy trailers ;) )

Any suggestions which oil cooler? i was thinking putting 2 militairy style series engine oil cooler paralel, in front of the rad because they hold a bigger fluid capacity. and I;ve got them lying around.

Cheers Bowy

Hi, I had a similar problem with an auto Disco, I used a P38 oil cooler with a pacet fan on it, and it was wired through the temp switch, so when the oil got too hot, on the fan came, I also used bigger pipes from the 'box itself to the cooler, local Hydraulic shop made them for me, as I had found that the diesel engine vibration tended to crack the standard pipes, all I had to do was weld a standard hydraulic fitting to the ZF fitting that screwed into the box (2, one out, and one in) that was OK but if I were to do it again I would use the oil/water type of heat exchanger and not the R/R type again. I think your suggestion to use the military coolers must be worth a try as the standard ones don't seem to get rid of enough heat when towing. Best Regards, Bill Westley

the way it overheats right now means that your box will not last very long! i would refrain from heavy towing until you have some oil coolers fitted!

i use a 43 row mocal cooler. gearbox used to overheat all the time (deep sand, steep climbs), now it hardly gets to 80C under heavy abuse. my RRC is heavily modified (35 inch tires 4.6 engine etc)

talked to ashcroft about cooling , they said the bigger the better, and that you can't overcool them.

if you have a radiator with the integrated gearbox oil cooler, disconnect that and run the gearbox oil only through the new (BIG!) oil cooler. works a lot better like that!

regards

orange

Tried fitting a 109 cooler today. but it doesn't fit it's just a little bit to big.

Found a pic of a 101 oil cooler but that one is even bigger , so don't know where I could fit that one :(

Do you think it's possible to use the airconditioning cooler as an oil cooler? It's big, it fits, I've got one lying around and it;s also fluid I think???

Cheers Bowy

Guest diesel_jim

I won a cooler off of a wolf R380 gearbox (same as th cooler fo rthe HD civvy version). it sits in front of the main radiator, measures roughly 12"x6" and about 1" or so thick.

I plan to run this on my ZF when i fit it.