Something brewing?

boaterboy

Doing steady 65mph on motorway in my 2002 TD5, when, for no apparent reason a few dashboard warning lights fickered on - it all happened too quickly for me to be sure in total which ones - but certainly the red seat belt reminder light and the red anti-theft alarm indicator light came on for a few moments. At the same time the speedometer and rev-counter needles dropped back to zero before resuming their correct positions. During this time there was no faltering of the engine / power delivery. Does anyone have any clues as to what might have been the cause? Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Check the alternator. I had the exact same symptoms on my old V8 disco. Earths were all good, cleaned them all up and renewed the main earth strap.

Made it go away for a week or two, then whilst driving at night on country lanes every time I switched to full beam and back to dip the speedo and

rev counter shot down then back up. I stopped and got a multimeter across the battery and the alt was doing nothing, being efi it cut out soon after.

Got a new alternator, fitted it and everything was back to normal. If you do need an alt check ebay, several sellers supply genuine and lucas ones at

a fraction of the dealers price.

HTH