XTC EVENT IN 2011

chrisbowler

Following on from the AWDC decision to drop the XTC event in the 2011 calender, I am investigating the potential to run a single XTC event in July or September 2011. This topic thread is intended to act as advertising and discusion of the event and once the basics are in place, the event details will be published.

It is hoped to run the event under the AWDC banner and the venue, although yet to be confirmed will be held on military training areas, hopefully either Salisbury Plain Longmoor, Hampshire or Swynerton, Shropshire. I have support from the AWDC and the use of the XTC course hardware and timing equipment and have a management team in place to organise an event.

Grateful for any feedback on this subject - I feel that the XTC format has a lot to offer and am prepared to set an event up in 2011 that will offer 2-3 mile rough course with good navigation routes - if successful, and interest is sufficient, it is hoped that a championship could be set up in 2012. All being well, I will confirm event details in early 2011 as to venue, date and further details.

Chris Bowler

Cambrian 4X4 Farm

2010 XTC championship Winner

Thanks for your support guys. Plan is to find a date that will not clash with either AWDC Comp or Challenge calendars and will try to avoid any major challenge events such as Decider etc.

I have linked up with the British Army Motorsports Assosiation and if we can run a combined event with their event, we should be able to use the military training area facilities. They normally run an event over a 2 day weekend, however the XTC event will be on the Sunday. More to follow as it is confirmed.

Chris Bowler

Yeah interested.

Questions.

Presume a comp safari truck would be use less unless altertered a lot ?

What will be the speed limit?

Whats the class setup?

Will winches be required?

from my questions im just trying to gauge if its a 50mph between sections and no challenge part to it?

Hi mate, only did one event last year in a fairly low budget challenge preped defender.

A good but tricky course at Kirton was more about terrain than out right speed. I would think it will be different for each course. There was a selection of challenge/comp safari/trials and 3 'proper big trucks'.

It is unlikely that you will use your winch cause not all of the vehicles have them so the course will have to fair to all.

At the end of the day it seems to me that you could use any suitable preped vehicle - the event is about longevity and making sure you can finish the day in one piece having completed all of the 8-10 laps.

It will be interesting to see what else Chris has to say cause the Military training area facilities will be cracking and provide some great tracks.

(Not too far into the deep south for me please Chris - us Barnsley lads need interpreters beyond Watford)

The 3 XTC events in 2010 had a good cross section of Comp cars, trial cars and challenge trucks. When I decided to do the XTC and Salisbury, I fitted a winch on the logic that If I got stuck as least I could extract myself backwards as oppossed to using the winch to get me to the checkpoint. I used the winch once at Checkpoint 3 where I got stuck and had to get out.

At West Harptree, I decided to fit a front winch as West Harptree is an evil site and the general opinion was that Round 1 was too easy for Comp Cars!!! Did not use winch at all and several drivers had a discussion over winches - basically the winch was not what XTC was about - the terrain gouvrned whether a Challenge car could winch the short route whislt a comp car drove the long route 1-2 miles to get the advantage - no site would give this advantage.

So In short I do not think winches or extreme gear wins the day - reliability is the key - XTC by the nature of it is rough and as is timed, driving across the rough is demanding on the vehicle. Comp cars are capable of withstanding speed but not always the rough. Trialers are capable of covering extreme terrain but not at speed. Challenge trucks are probably the most suited to XTC as they are tough and still have the speed element ( except for big tyres!!!

There have been no classes in XTC so far - it is drive what you bring and fastest man wins. Can't see how you could introduce classes unless we get large numbers - 20-30 entries - then probably use Comp, trialer and challenge truck classes.!!??

I hope to get a good mix of terrain on the military areas and will keep the forum posted once I know where the event will be. Clearly plan to try and avoid any dates that clash

Chris Bowler

• 3 weeks later...

By way of an update on how planning is progressing, the provisional date for the 2011 XTC event is Saturday 26 Mar 2011. BAMA like the idea of sharing a site and the XTC formate.

Event is planned to be held at Swynerton Driver Training Area - this is more or less opposite the private site at BADEN HALL,Eccelshall, Shrops - site used by AWDC, BCCC and ARC for various events.

As we are hoping to share the site with the British Army and they will be on the site on the Saturday, I appreciate that this may be an issue for those who normally like to compete on Sundays -

I am just waiting on the final site availability confirmation and once this is in place will formally announce the event. Entry, rules, regs and all other details will follow the same format as previous year. The only slight difference will be that the BAMA crews will compete on the XTC course at a differnet time to the AWDC crews as they technically will be entered on a navigational event, not a Point to Point.

Will keep all posted as more info.

Chris Bowler

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting for confirmation that the Swynerton area is available. Once confirmed, will formally announce event. As we hope to share location with BAMA, we plan to run an XTC course which will be used as a navigation course for all non XTC competitors. This non XTC course will be laid out for ANY vehicle to enter, whilst the XTC course will be set out for AWDC/ MSA rules.

There is of course only 1 car that is suitable for XTC - TD5!!!! - Remember 2010!!!

Chris Bowler

• 4 weeks later...

With regret, the 26 Mar 11 date for the proposed XTC event at SWYNERTON Army Training Area has had to be be cancelled due to no allocation of areas in time to process MSA permit and allow sufficient time to advertise event. Sorry to all those who were planning to attend.

The way ahead?

I am still very keen to try and find a venue and date to hold an XTC but will have to keep you all informed once plans become clear.

Once again sorry to bear bad news -

Chris Bowler

• 7 months later...

Sorry guys for not keeping you all up to date.

Sadly, following further chasing for an alternative date, it appears that the military training areas we wanted to use were not available and frankly did not like the idea of "fast driving"!!! - Training area rules dictate 25mph speed limits.

I have followed up recently with my contact and hope is not all lost but no 2011 will have to be an XTC free zone.

There is however 2012 and the King of the VALLEYS!!!

CB