Tyre slashed

basquen

Someone had nothing better to do this weekend than to slash the sidewall of one of my tyres on my Disco. :angry:

Only a 1cm gash in the sidewall but here in France repairs aren't allowed in the sidewall - I believe this is the same in the UK - can someone confirm ?

Numerous friends (none of them not tyre dealers) have suggested it's recommended to change all 4 at the same time to avoid problems with the diffs -what's the general consensus on this ?

Finally, the existing tyres are a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/T 245/70/16 which where as big as I could go without any other mods. They're great - no rubbing or scrapping. If it means changing all 4 I might well go for a set of BF Goodrich A/T's that I have on the other Disco. However these are 235 rather than 245. Has anyone tried the BFG A/T 245's on the 300tdi. With a more rugged profile I think I might be asking for trouble....

Cheers

Nick

Only a 1cm gash in the sidewall but here in France repairs aren't allowed in the sidewall - I believe this is the same in the UK - can someone confirm ?

Yes, repairs are only allowed to the centre portion of the tread.

Numerous friends (none of them not tyre dealers) have suggested it's recommended to change all 4 at the same time to avoid problems with the diffs -what's the general consensus on this ?

No need, as long as the new tyre is the same size as the others. there might be a slight difference in circumference, but nothing serious compared to the effect of driving round corners.

Just to add, the French MOT equivalent is a lot stricter on tyres than most other countries so you will need to be careful here.

BTW There is a high chance your tyre wasn't slashed, it is very difficult cut into sidewall with a knife. More likely you caught a damaged kerb and pinched the tyre, my experience anyway!

BTW There is a high chance your tyre wasn't slashed, it is very difficult cut into sidewall with a knife. More likely you caught a damaged kerb and pinched the tyre, my experience anyway!

We live in a really small village and I couldn't believe there was someone round the corner ready to slash a tyre but there was. I drove 150 metre from out barn to the village square - not a kerb in site! Got back to the car 15mins later to find a 100% flat with a clean horizontal gash in the sidewall max 1cm long. Would be happier if it was an accident but the evidence is pretty conclusive :(

The French highway code is ineed very strict about tyres - it states that same size and type must be fitted on each axle. It's the "type" bit that leads to problems. At the minimum its "radial" etc at the maximum it's same make/model etc. In my experience french MOT stations are pretty forgiving on this. Gendarmes carrying out spot check are less more inclined let this slip by...