D2: 04 V8 ES Auto fuel gauge grossy inaccurate

jagwit

Yesterday, I again got stranded without fuel - this was the 2nd time.

This time I noted when the fuel warning light came on. Two (2) km's later the car died!! A friend brought me 10L of fuel. This lifted the gauge to just above 1/4!!

I then topped up at the nearest filling station (about 16km from where I was) and it took 82L.

My gauge works like this:

220 Km from "above full" (tank filled to the brim) to full (needle exactly on the full mark

50 km from full to 3/4

150km from 3/4 to 1/4

Is this inaccurate fuel gauge typical of D2's? Any tips as to what I could do?

Hi,

I drive a v8 D2 and have never had that kind of a problem, i used to do alot more than 2km on the fuel light at a guess i would say i have done approx 20 miles on a fuel light,

Think you could have a problem with the tank float ( part of the pump )

i know my diagnostic system has a part that you can test the gauges this may be worth thinking about.

Good luck

Simon

Things you could do:

1) Check the sender

2) Check the gauge

3) Check the wiring

4) Note how many km's you get on a tank and trust the odometer rather than the gauge

5) Fit an aftermarket gauge

6) Don't run it down to the vapours in the first place

All LR fuel gauges are not very accurate in that you will never go as far on 1/2 to empty as you will on brimmed to 1/2. My D2 does 50-80 miles before the gauge is down to "full" but the last "half" disappears rather more quickly. The Defender is the same.

"I think they are all like that" :) but as Fridge said, don't run it down to fumes, with a V8 you never want to leave for anywhere with the tank less than half full :(